Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

RAIN and more rain

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: RAIN and more rain Reply with quote

While it is a really beautiful day today, I can't help thinking how awful it must be for people in the south and west who have been flooded. Let's spare a thought for them today, especially as there is more rain forecast tomorrow. I hope all the gardeners on this site are OK.
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had 280% of the average November rainfall already this month and it's only the 20th!

More heavy rain coming Saturday night/Sunday morning.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my poor chickens need waders,and the runs are thick with mud,even their houses as they walk mud in,its awful,and every time i change their water its really muddy again,its my ex batts i`m worried about,got them 2 weeks ago and they came from a hot environment,and its today that one of my chickens mortica started to crow!!he was supposed to start laying a while back so the breeder told me,and my mortica has jumped half the other chickens and their covered in mud from him,today i`m throwing builders sand into the runs hoping it helps
dinahdabble
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal.
Could you put twigs, branches, sticks and dry grass down in heaps for them to stand on - or straw if you have it? Take them out again after the rains so they don't turn into compost.
We are half way up the hill so we won't get flooding, but there has been a sheet of water visible, running down the field next to the house at times in the last few days. I am going to have to make sure I boil the water properly, because the ground water is likely to have got into the spring with all this wet. I'd advise anyone else who depends on a bore hole to do the same.
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: chicken runs in wet Reply with quote

How about putting a portion of the run under plastic, like a little poly tunnel? Then it's also good to have cuttings from the field harvested when dry and put under plastic so they stay dry and use them to keep the mud down.
sal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have put plastic sheets for them to walk on,branches with wood across to climb on too.its like a adventure playgound in there now ,but they cant dig for worms and bugs etc as they `d like to,roll on the dry weather,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: