Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Impressive garden injurys and how to avoid them.

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
dinahdabble
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Impressive garden injurys and how to avoid them. Reply with quote

What is the worst injury you've ever suffered while gardening, and what advise would save others from having to share the experience? Go on, let's share information on this one, it might deter a few would be gardeners, but think of the pain it could save the rest of us!

Mine was a damaged neck and shoulder, after raking the moss from both lawns for 3 days in a row. :oops: Now I know the job has to be done bit by bit, or idealy, by someone else!
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely wrecked my right thumb years ago from using a secateurs for too long a stretch....
I then heard a very good tip on a gardening programme ) about buying secateurs and I have never had the problem again.
Here's the tip:
When buying a new pair of secateurs, hold them in your hand, and let them spring open to the full extent. If that puts a strain on your thumb, that size is too big for you, and you should buy a smaller pair.
This may only be a problem for women or those with smaller hands.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a hernia and very severe back strain from lifting trays of underwater plants in my pond.

Recommendation: Don't think you're as young as you used to be and thinking that, if something's extremely heavy, that mind over matter will overcome, is sometimes not a wise thing to do.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stood on a rake and got clocked in the face with the handle.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst pulling up an old tree stake that I thought would come up easily, I clamped it in a bear hug and pulled up sharply.
Result torn chest muscles.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Numerous injuries to avoid Reply with quote

I always use neoprene gloves, the kind doctors use and put my fingers in vaseline before putting them on. A lady I know got pricked by a rose thorn and she was working with manure. She got flesh eating disease which is rare but possible. Suggest getting a tetanus shot every 10 years as there's bacteria in the soil that will infect any wound. Have a good bacterial scrub soap and nail brushes at the sink after every gardening job.
Have safety glasses, as getting anything in the eye is also a magnet for infection. I'm using a shredder and have both face mask for the dust and eye wear. So far have not buzzed off any fingers! Don't hand weed too much. You'll get carpal tunnel syndrome, waking up at night and not being able to feel your hands from the elbow down.
We have poison ivy which gives you weeping oozing sores{url]http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/rashes.html[/url] if you even touch it and it's everywhere in the bush in Canada. We also have poisonous snakes and spiders. In Ireland, I have to do a skurton (sic) check, these are tiny tics or lice is it? that march up your skin and stick to you. Have a magnifying glass to check you're not trying to pull out a freckle instead of a skurton.
blondie
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: hayknife Reply with quote

Years ago i was working in the bog, veggie garden that we had,I forgot to stick the hayknife back in the bog, and walked back on it ,it cut through the side of my foot went to the local doc had to have 3 stitches to the side of my foot the clown had no local anesthetic,so I had lots of pain and stinging.That was the end of my bog days and I have never looked at a hayknife since.

blondie

SorchaBC
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not totally garden related but years ago I speared my foot with a pitchfork whilst mucking out a stable. My father did the same thing in his youth. Ah, inter-generational stupidity Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: