Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Advertisements appearing throughout this website - a shame!

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
tig
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Advertisements appearing throughout this website - a shame! Reply with quote

I'm wondering what others think of the ads which appear throughout this great website. I always found it reassuringly free from such things, and I know that the moderators are very fast to take away anything which they perceive as self-promotion. So I'm wondering how these ads appear. To have ads for Roundup and all sorts of other chemicals appearing in random places is a little upsetting. If this post makes it past the censors I'll be impressed, as up to now this has been the only gardening forum where sharing knowledge, rather than marketing, has been the main agenda. It's a shame to see a venerable and well-rum website slip like this.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you mean the ones at the top of the page?
to expect mr. kilkelly to run this place out of his own pocket is asking a bit much - he's putting in his own time, let alone having to stump money up for it. and i would strongly suspect that the amount generated from a niche market forum like this is far, far less than the admins would really like to see...

even the most respected newspaper has to take on ads to pay its way.
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tig,

Your link on your second post would have been removed according to the rule below;

1 [c] New posters whose initial posts contain direct links to other websites may have those links removed at the moderators discretion. Other members interested in the links may PM the poster to be enlightened as to the link.

I can't really see how you can object to advertising as how else can the site be financed?

And, by the way, your tree is growing fine here and has been admired by a few people. Looking forward to future advice that you can give to novices like me.

KS.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
tig

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I quite agree that the site needs advertising, and also I have full respect for the fact that the moderators remove links - that's a good thing as it means that any advice is going to be nicely impartial. The ads at the top of every page are clearly marked and quite evidently there to fund the site which, as you say, is necessary. What I noticed earlier was something quite different and new on the site - small ads for products dotted throughout the forum on ebay, between the posts. I guess I may have over-reacted..... I suppose I am so used to those '10 steps to a flat belly' ads popping up everywhere that I wondered if this was the beginning of the same thing. Glad the tree is growing well - hope the winter is kind to it. All the best, Tig
Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tig

I found those little ebay ads a little annoying at first but now view them as a necessary evil . Lets face it this is the best site I've come across and anything that helps to keep it up and running is a godsend. Now talk to me about this " Ten steps to a flat belly " christmas is coming and it's not only the goose thats getting fat, I don't want the santy look Laughing Laughing Laughing
tig

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're dead right, it is the best site doing what it does. I didn't mean to portray myself as a purist crackpot!
verge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think medieval knievel, kindredspirit and Foxylock said as much as was needed to be said. But of course I'll say my bit as well. These gardening forums are free for everybody to view, no entrance fee save for having to avert your eyes from some contextual advertising as you interact with the site. I don't want to mention the "R" word, but in the current economic climate free infomation sources are badly needed. From our visitor statistics we have seen an upsurge in visitors from computers based in public libraries, people possibly out of work, looking for an outlet. We are glad that we can offer them this.

As they say in the Loreal ads "Heres the science bit"
What makes the Irish gardeners forum?
Three people behind the scenes keep the site ticking over, moderating, removing spam, and keeping the site family friendly. Then it's the posters, some contributing here for years that drive the site. The posters add the queries, start the debates, and supply the answers. This leaves a store of info (still free) for up and coming gardeners. Finally we have the site hosting company who does not work for free. Hosting charges must be paid for, and that's where the advertising comes in.

This is not like RTE where we force the public to pay a licence fee to view......... but wait RTE have advertising as well as a licence fee...... how strange.

We are open to promotion from all quarters on http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13087#13087
But promotions are accepted or rejected based on whether they are appropriate to the context they are placed within.
Apart from that anyone who wishes to add a link to their site in their signature can do so provided it does not jump out as a blatent ad. Then every time you post, and a viewer thinks "Hmmm, I like what this guy is posting, I think I'll click on their website" the circle is then complete.

tig '10 steps to a flat belly' ads on a gardening site, don't be ridiculous. That belly is made flat through hard graft.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Bobwilliams

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Advertisements appearing throughout this website - a sha Reply with quote

tig wrote:
I'm wondering what others think of the ads which appear throughout this great website. I always found it reassuringly free from such things, and I know that the moderators are very fast to take away anything which they perceive as self-promotion. So I'm wondering how these ads appear. To have ads for Roundup and all sorts of other chemicals appearing in random places is a little upsetting. If this post makes it past the censors I'll be impressed, as up to now this has been the only gardening forum where sharing knowledge, rather than marketing, has been the main agenda. It's a shame to see a venerable and well-rum website slip like this.

Ha Ha you're having a laugh right. Complaining about adds on what i think is the best gardening site in Ireland north or south. The website is free for gods sake and its a hell of a lot busier with posters than its nearest rival who shall remain nameless. I have seen questions answered here that I have never heard answered in a garden centre. Enjoy it while you can.

I'm off now to complain about the billboards that distract me while driving my taxed car. Later.
tig

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, okay..... I'm off to eat a big slice of humble pie.... didn't intend such wrath. Was just a comment....... was so used to having the ads along the top of the page that I was put out when I saw them in the midst of the discussion...... and when I saw an ad for Roundup pop up on a gardening page it seemed to jar. But I am well chastised and accept everyone's comments.
Dr. Sunny Thomson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Advertisements appearing throughout this website - a sha Reply with quote

tig wrote:
To have ads for Roundup and all sorts of other chemicals appearing in random places is a little upsetting.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Whats random about it. the site is about gardening as a whole, not just organic gardening.

tig wrote:

If this post makes it past the censors I'll be impressed, as up to now this has been the only gardening forum where sharing knowledge, rather than marketing, has been the main agenda. It's a shame to see a venerable and well-rum website slip like this.

Were you at the rum. Laughing

cross posted this as tig posted, so sorry if the post appears I am twisting the knife.

I dont post as often as I should as I generally lurk and evesdrop on everybody else. Shocked But I just had to comment and say that the ads at present are ok, please keep them that way. The site is one of the first i check each morning especially on a wet winter morning when I can't get out. Keep it up lads.
verge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok lads and lassies. That's the end of the tig bashing. In the words of Barney the dinosaur
I love you,
You love me,
We're a happy family,
with a great big hug,
and a kiss from me to you,
Won't you say you love me TOO!

I'll leave this thread open for a while for further constructive criticism, but easy on the jibes.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
kindredspirit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tig,

Here's a picture of your tree.

As you say, I hope it survives the winter. I may wrap it shortly as there are about 20 leaves on the ground and I'm sure there shouldn't be.

Best regards,

KS.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: