Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Getting Started

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Spanner
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Getting Started Reply with quote

Hi again guys- just getting the courage now to ask a question- I am just planning where to put my garden beds - I have about 0.6 of an acre to work with- What my question is as a beginner is what should I plant and when should I plant it. I know, I hear you saying is this guy for real or what but honestly I don't know where to start. I suppose I'll keep browsing on the forum to get more.
Anyways- look forward to the exchanges
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spanner, this time of year is a good time for getting bare-root trees ( cheaper than when in leaf and sold in pots ) and also a good time for planting bulbs and for browsing through your gardening books by the fire !
Spanner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a mill Sive-will do
galwaybeginner
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found paper the best, and looking at photos of gardens (search on google images). I figured out roughly what I wanted inte garden, then let the slopes of tha garden and sunlight decide where to put some features, others by how close to the house. Before you know it you have a rough plan done. From that your beds will decide their own location.

But the best thing about gardening - if you screw it up you just dig up and start again. Kind of like a large scale etch-a-sketch!
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tip......put your beds where they will give you pleasure......and since we spend so much time indoors, I advise you to prioritise the views you get from the windows you sit by most.
Not sure if you cook and wash up, but a pleasant view from the kitchen window is just wonderful to alleviate the boredom of all those jobs that have to be done daily.
Also, choose a sunny spot near the house to plant herbs in. There's nothing like fresh sage for stuffing or rosemary for roast lamb etc.
As Galwaybeginner says, by the time you have worked out where your sunniest spots are and other such practicalities, your garden will start telling you where to put everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: