Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

when to cut back my hydrangea

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
juststarting
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: when to cut back my hydrangea Reply with quote

i have a small hydrangea that i planted two years ago it is still small with only about 7 flowers on it now that they are dying off should i cut it back and to where.my mother has a hydrangea for years and is quite big but it is very woody and no folliage on it once you pass the outer leaves it doesnt look great so i would like mine to be more full bodied.thanks
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Hydrangeas usually flower during the summer, this would lead one to think that the best time to prune them would be after flowering in autumn, not so. Rather than pruning directly after flowering to give the plant maximum regrow time, we should instead hold off pruning until after winter. Leaving the old growth on the Hydrangea over winter will with a bit of luck act as a snow and frost buffer for this tender-in the-bud plant.

More info here.......How to prune Hydrangea macrophylla

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
frengers80
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: pruning hydrangeas Reply with quote

funny this,somebody in work just asked me the very same question today!!!What i normally would do is as above and wait til late winter /early spring before doing any work.I would remove around a quater of 'old' wood back to the 2 lowest basal shoots,this will encourage new strong shoots to develope ove the season.Over a 3 year cycle you will have removed the weaker older shoots and have been left with a stronger healthier plant!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: