Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Bulbs Planted in September - Sprouting Already

Most Recent Posts My intro
Last post: Greengage
Hi all
Hello and help needed on watering
Christmas reading.

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
emma
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Bulbs Planted in September - Sprouting Already Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I am brand new to the forum & really need some help please. I planted some bulbs in September & was actually quiet proud of myself for planning my garden for next year (am in a new build so this summer was the first year I bothered with the garden) - however, I think that disaster may have struck - they are now beginning to shoot up. I have hyacinths, daffodils, tulips, blue bells, snow drops etc. The strange thing is that it seems to be the hyacinths & daffodils that are shooting, rather than the other bulbs.

So really what I am worried about is because it has been so mild this Autumn the bulbs are confused & are beginning to shoot too early (thinking it is the start of Spring). So does this mean that these bulb will actually die in the winter, when frost arrives & not flower in Spring?? If so, does this mean that I need to un-plant them (which would be a nightmare and a lot of work) for the moment and re-plant then when it gets really cold?

I am sorry for asking this question if it seems quiet a simple problem - but I am a beginner and have no clue when it comes to bulbs as this is my first year for planting. What do I do??

Do I let Mother Nature take charge - or should I intervene?

Many thanks for your help & advise.

Emma
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to worry emma the bulbs will be alright and there is certainly no need to dig them up. if you have some bit of compost or loose soil then cover them over with an inch or two of that, if they were not planted deep enough. The bulbs will adjust to the temperature and it has been unduly mild for the time of year. The soil temperature will drop from now on and there will be less growth activity and as long as the flower bud has not emerged then there is no danger.There is never a stupid question if you are looking for information and there is somebody there to answer it,
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
emma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

Thank you so much for replying to my post. This is my first time on the site & was unsure if i was asking silly questions. Am thrilled that everthing in the garden will be ok - thank you for confirming this with me. I hope to have a lot of activity on the forum as I am developing a big interest in my garden (its my first). Once again, thanks so much for your help.
Emma
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: