Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Hedge Suggestions

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: corkgardener
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
treascon09
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Hedge Suggestions Reply with quote

Anyone have any suggestions of a hedge to grow mainly to provide shelter. As you can see in the pics it will divide a field and gets all the prevailing winds. I have tipped all the grass cuttings along the area hoping it would be a boost when i sow the hedge. All ideas welcomed as the area is quite big and a blank canvas for now!! Thanks in advance

1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.5 KB
 Viewed:  15344 Time(s)

1.JPG

2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  220.03 KB

2.JPG

3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.99 KB

3.JPG

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The house appears to be exposed to the South West the prevailing Wind which is not the coldest but can be the strongest > The land appears to be quite good judging the grass growth. There are a number of factors to be considered before you plant any hedge, what height do you want it, evergreen or deciduous, colour, light dark green or grey. Consider, Laurel, bay laurel, Cotoneaster species, Pittosporum, Olearia species, Viburnums, Privets, Berberis species, (escallonias would have been an option but are being attacked by a fungus at present), beech, Holly and Spotted laurel.
Michael brenock Horticultural advisor (retired)
Sive

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI there, we have planted a hedge last year in very similar ( and windy ) circumstances and it is thriving. We planted a mixture of native hedging plants as we wanted it to look natural in the landscape and to benefit wildlife too......and we certainly don't want to be clipping a formal hedge of 100 metres long! The other advantage of a mixed hedge is that you can add dog roses and fuschia to give you the odd splash of colour......a solid hedge of either would be too gaudy and unnatural in your setting.
Go Native !
Put in a search on this site and you'll find great lists of native hedging plants. Get bare-rooted whips and in a couple of years you'll have the makings of a great hedge.
Sive

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1031.html

Try this link ! Not sure how to connect you to the relevant post, hope this works.
treascon09

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Michael and Sive. Was thinking of some kind of Laural but a native and natural hedge sounds good. Less formal. (maybe laural is native? I dont know). What spacings did you plant the hedge? How many would I need. About 70m long
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most spacings listed here treascon09....... Hedge varieties

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Sive

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Treascon 09, I think you'll be delighted with a mixed hedge as there will be interest in it all the year round. We planted 100 metres last year....at spacing of about 18 inches to 2 feet I think, I'll check tomorrow in daylight and tell you for certain then.
The other good thing about a mixed hedge is that you may get the odd casualty, but you'll soon see which varieties are thriving and they will fill out any gaps.
I have seen a 7-year old hedge, with trees in it as well, all originally planted as mere whips and young saplings, and you wouldn't believe what a magnificent sight it is now. It looks as if it has been there for ever.
By the way, what part of the country are you in ?
treascon09

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sive, Thanks for that. I am determined to get the hedge sown this year, I suppose you wouldn't feel the years slip by before the hedge will be mature. Im living in Portarlington by the way.
Sive

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with that......I only asked about your location as I wondered if you were near Wexford, as we have a found a very good supplier near us here, and he plants the hedges too.
No doubt you'll find good nurseries near you too.
By the way, our hedging plants are spaced at between 18 inches and two feet apart, just as I thought.
And once you have it planted, I believe the most important thing is to keep the ground at its base free of weeds and grass until it establishes. We were lucky (????) with the wet summer, we didn't once have to consider if the new hedge needed watering!
frengers80
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: re new hedge Reply with quote

hi,good luck with your new hedge,i would also recommend the native approach.find a good local nursery not a garden centre and thy should be able to supply large quantities at very low cost.My only advise to you is in relation to your grass cuttings,you will find that it has turned into an oily mess now with all the rain and is going to be quite hard to plant through.I would also avoid using fresh grass cuttings as a mulch around you new plants as it will rob them of vital nutrients,make sure you compost them down first.all the best with you project
treascon09

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replys. I got 400 plants (300 whitethorn the rest are mixed)for the hedge a few weeks before christmas and had planned on sowing them over christmas but with the weather so bad and ground so hard i still have them in bags at side of house. Anyone know if they will still be ok ? Hope they are as paid €300 for them..... They are in the proper bags tied at top and at north side of house out of sunlight. All advice welcome. Might start sowing tomorrow weather permitting.
frengers80

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: re new hedge Reply with quote

hi,they should be fine.with the bags sealed andthe weather being so cold they would just have sat in the ground and probably suffered more.Weather forecast to be a bit more springlike next week.ive already noticed some snowdrops starting to move and some very brave daffs too!!Ive ordered about 20 trees and 175 hedging plants to for next week so it will be all go!!Hope we both get the weather we need!!!
maccers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - sorry to hi-jack this post but I have a question for Sive. I live in Wexford and was wondering who the supplier was that you mentioned? I'm also looking to plant a native hedge and need all the help I can get! Thanks!
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi maccers, the person I was referring to was John Joe Hyland...he has a nursery near Oulart and he has planted all our hedging and also some trees. He really knows his stuff and is a lovely guy.
Give him a call on 087-2773492 and have a chat with him.
I hope he can help you out.
paul5000

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Hornbeam. Fast enough growing and good for wildlife.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: