Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

beginner mistakes

Most Recent Posts ...What did you do Today...
Last post: Ado 2
Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
spider
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: beginner mistakes Reply with quote

just a few random thoughts about what i have learned over the year and mistakes i have made ,might help someone else .
ok
bamboo --is not a tree its a grass ,so dont go looking in a forstery nursery for one
seedlings burn in a greenhouse
watering from the top into small pots is not good ,water runs straight out the bottom, better stand it in a tray of water.discovered that the hard way
soil preparation
burying grass weeds ,does not work, another lesson learnt
spraying or better still ,have found black polythene from silage covers .laid on ground for a few months give great results,
last but not least
planning, planning ,planning , cripes i got that wrong badly.Planted lots badly
anyway next year hope to do better

p.s
Has not been a total diaster ,got a nice crop of potatoes ,oninons, peas,carrotts ,parsnip, and sweet corn
katana
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for advice-Any info that will help is great .I usually do the trial and error but it is after costing me a fortune.
SorchaBC

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things I have learnt so far:-

Your cats will not know that those lovely raised beds are not fancy litter trays. Ditto for any large plant pots filled with compost.

On the same vein, your dog will not understand the need for him to suddenly have to walk around parts of the garden when he can charge right through them. This can spell disaster with a hyper German Shepherd!

Rabbits will eat lavender. Yes, it means they leave the vegtable patch alone (so far anyway) but is it worth losing every lavender plant?

Not using chemicals seems to = weeding almost daily.

People will always, always ring when you're up to your elbows in muck.

Labelling seeds is a MUST. I heard this so much and fobbed it off. Now I have about 35 seedlings that need to be sorted into cucumber, water melon, brocolli, sunflower and tomatoes. Dammit Laughing

Likewise spacing of seeds and plants. Who know that every seed would come up and you'd have a greenhouse forest in a month?[/list]
aligater

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the good advice - any advice is welcome good or bad,I'm at the try and error stage,not done any gardening for years and years,but this site is great once again - Thanks Very Happy Very Happy
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weedblock fabrics choke and suffocate the soil - it feels like a really unnaturally method of gardening.

Wink

Geranimojess
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardening is like riding a Bicycle every time you fall off you pick yourself up and start over again,We learn by our mistakes thats the Joy of Gardening "A Person who never made a mistake never made anything" which makes me an Authority on Blunders but the satisfaction I get at the end of the Day far outweighs any desires I might have for perfection.
artalis
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: weeds Reply with quote

Good spin off from removing woven/plastic ground fabric is that bulbs can multiply and naturalise, grasses can self seed and the excess young plants can be repotted for gifts. Perennials can thicken up and then be divided to make more plants.

Removing weeds when they are still very small, before flowering and when the ground is moist avoids problems later. A good thick mulch helps to protect plants from weeds, drying out and severe frosts.

Letting the decaying foliage stay on some bulbs over the winter can offer winter protection and helps the bulb to renew and flower better in the following spring.

Some sharp sand in the base of the hole, before adding back soil/compost helps drainage.
Rolling Eyes
artalis
Liz D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great tips- especially about the cats! Unfortunately, I have about 3 neighborhood locals who don't belong to me but instead they take turns in my clematis patch...
A few of my tips learned this spring:

1. if a potted plant's soil has come away from the pot and leaves a gap, top it up before watering. I wasted so much water earlier this year!

2. Basil does not grow outside, even if it's a lot of growth when it's moved out there!

3. Slugs love everything.

4. Cutting healthy sweet pea flowers seems to encourage even more to grow in their place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: