Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Greenhouse borders and raised beds

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Yorky
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Greenhouse borders and raised beds Reply with quote

Firstly the greenhouse:

I still have unharvested chillies in the greenhouse which seem to be suffering the effects of mildew, aphids and white fly. I've read that chillies are perennial in their native country but are annuals here. Is this the case? Should I just pull the plants up now? What about the mildew and pests - will they just die over the winter?

I grew tomatoes on one side last year and the opposite side this year. For rotation purposes I intend to use grow bags for the next two years.

I had intended to cover the borders in well rotted manure between now and November but I've read that greenhouse soil needs changing every two years, which is how long it will have been in next year. Is manuring sufficient or does it still need changing regardless? I hope not as I can't get a wheel barrow near the borders and they're quite deep.

Raised beds:

I am also going to manure the beds shortly nbut still have some swedes and brussel sprouts in some of them. Shall I just spread the manure over the empty beds and around the remaining plants? Will it harm the growing plants in any way such as rot the tops of the swedes?

Thanks in advance.
Garlicbreath

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I overwintered some chili plants last winter but they haven't thrived. I've 3 left now and they are covered in sticky stuff and what looks like tiny white aphids. Going to pick the half doz chilis and bin the plants. Start again next Spring!
Macy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Greenhouse borders and raised beds Reply with quote

Yorky wrote:
I grew tomatoes on one side last year and the opposite side this year. For rotation purposes I intend to use grow bags for the next two years.

I had intended to cover the borders in well rotted manure between now and November but I've read that greenhouse soil needs changing every two years, which is how long it will have been in next year. Is manuring sufficient or does it still need changing regardless? I hope not as I can't get a wheel barrow near the borders and they're quite deep.

I thought changing the border soil refers to when you're growing tomatoes/ the one crop direct in the same soil, year after year - i.e. where you are not practicing rotation?

Would you get away with only one year in the grow bags, which would effectively be a three year rotation?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: