Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Weed flamer for eliminating weeds.

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Weed flamer for eliminating weeds. Reply with quote

Anyone know where I could buy a dedicated Weed Flamer in this country? I've asked in a couple of hardware shops but they don't stock them. I'd prefer this system, I think, to using Roundup.

I'd like one with a long handle so that I don't make my back sore using it.

I've been told that they have the side effect of eliminating slugs as well. (I like well fried slug. Twisted Evil)

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi kindred spirit
i used to have a parafin one and it was okay but a gas one would be much better.aldi or lidl had a blow torch this week and i would say it would do the job. you may be able to attach it to a brush handle
dinahdabble
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dreamed of owning my very own flame thrower for so long... We have one of those brick covered driveways that sprout grass and weeds like some fearfull super-natural invasion creeping up to the house. If you find a place where they can be purchased let us know! Someone told me you can use salt on paths to clear weeds. I imagine it's only good if there's no soil for it to soak and spread into, and it is contained enough not to wash away, but I'm going to try it myself.
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: non toxic natural remedy Reply with quote

Try vinegar and lemon juice. Here's a commercial site for the product but you can make your own http://www.extremelygreen.com/Product.cfm?Name=Burnout%20II%20Weed%20%26%20Grass%20Killer
Google it for video of how it works. I'd like to know why it doesn't harm the soil by leaching in though. Maybe someone could try it over time and use a soil testing kit to actually monitor it. As for killing slugs, bad karma. Is there no animal that likes them? How about using them for fish bait?http://www.thestar.com/news/sciencetech/article/727232--10-cm-etobicoke-slug-a-big-slimy-mystery I have slugs that fit the size of your hand, not like the coloured ones in the article above, but grey/black. I collect them for my sanctuary wood pile lot and use them for a feature to the garden tour. Animal life in the garden is a sign of a healthy ecozone. I'm delighted to see toads. So, I try to garden as close to the ground as possible without too much powerfenailia. Just missed buzzing a poor slug through the shreader.
dinahdabble

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are right of course. A slug is just a snail without a convenient handle to rescue it by.
Salt on paths to kill weeds might harm the slugs and the snails too. Mind you, they don't tend to slither over salt anyway, so it would probably deter them from getting squashed on path and driveway. I'll try the vinegar on the weeds. Time gone by I would brew wine and if it vinegard use it as a cleaning product - fantastic for animal pens, yards etc. The slugs positively loved the wine must, so I'm sure they would be delighted - but again, drunken slugs lolling around on the path and driveway would be quite a hazard. No-kill gardening has a science all to itself.
ormondsview

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Natural solution to weed control Reply with quote

Having trouble with weeds? Forget about using fabric or any other expensive mulch to combat them. I have the solution for you right here!

2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.58 KB
 Viewed:  4850 Time(s)

2.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: