Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Wet Patch in lawn

Most Recent Posts christmas market.
Last post: Greengage
Planting trees in carparks.
Last post: Greengage
Brexit
Last post: Blowin
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
catman
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Wet Patch in lawn Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just this summer dug up and replanted my lawn. Up until now it had been a very soggy and wet lawn all over so I dug it up, rotavated it, mixed alot of sand in with the clay, levelled and re-seeded it. It has come on brilliantly over the summer and is much better drainage wise. Grass is thriving and very green, compared to the yellow colour it was before. There was a lot of builders rubble mixed in to the soil which took a long time to remove.
My problem is with a 2 metre x 2 metre section that is stil as wet as the whole lawn used to be and the grass on it is very sparse. Is there anything I can do locally to this section to improve the drainage without having to dig it up?
John H

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try and use a fork to loosen it up by putting the fork as deep as possible and just lean on the fork at an angle. Seen as it is a small area it shouldn't take to long.

Have you already dug the 2m section. If you have you will probably need to dig a soak hole and fill it with stone. Then cover with a weed membrain to allow water drain away.
dinahdabble
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things quickly, I had a wet patch on a lawn that tunred out to be the rising point of a spring. Happens on rocky outcrops and mountains sometimes in the strangest places. Also, I have heard that broken drainage and water pipes can sometimes be responcible, especialy if the ground has recently been disturbed above or beside the pipe. It is most probably neither of these things, but might be worth checking out if there is any further evidence or history.
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

assuming there are no pipes in the ground you could get a four foot length of box steel or a steel pipe and hammer that into the ground where it is wettest. when you hammer it in about 2-2.5 feet wriggle it and take it out. pour some gravel into the hole up to 2 feet and fill the last 6inches with soil and sprinkle some seed if necessary.this should at least help if not resolve the problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: