Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

puraflo

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
km79
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: puraflo Reply with quote

hi i was wondering if anybody else has a puraflo system with a raised percolation area and what are your views on it?
i bought a new ouse 3 years ago with this system installed . the back garden has always been wet but i did not mind as i had not done anything with it. This autumn however i have spent a lot of money importing top soil, levelling and seeding the lawn. I t has come up very well over the last few weeks . The only problem is the back half in front of the raised mound containing the puraflo modules is absolutley soaking. Even though there has been no rain for over a wee there is surface water in many areas. I have found Bord na Mona to be extremely unhelpful and emailled them again this mornng to try and get answers. Anyway has anybody else had a similar experience with this system?
treascon09

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like your raised bed may not have been installed properly. The idea is that the waste is treated in the tank and then the almost clean water filters away into the ground through a network of pipes near the top of the raised bed. The reason its raised is to give a bigger distance between the pipes and the ground water level.
You could try digging near where you think the end of pipes are. Maybe the water is just flowing through the pipe and not soaking out throught the holes along the pipe. Also check that there is pea gravel around the pipe, otherwise the holes along pipe could be blocked.
km79

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply i am afraid alright that is has not been installed properly or else installed cheaply! there are 2 yellow land drainage pipes sticking out at the far end of the mond which originate at the modules are these the pipes to which you refer? also i had a look today at the 2 green modules containing the peat. i looked through the little air holes near the top of modules. the peat in the first module appears dry. however there is a lot of water in the second module with water flowing out some of these holes. im thinking there might be a blockage somewhere?
km79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an update to my problem. got someone out to look at it and there was indeed a blockage. a tiny stone had resulted in all water being diverted into one module. the peat in this module is now more than likely too wet and impermeable. despite supposedly have a life span of 15+ years it will probably need to be replaced after 3 at a cost of over 600 euro. the entire gareden is now also soaked . anyone thinking of getting this system take my advice DONT. it has been the bane of my life for 3 years and if i could afford to replace it i would in the morning
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: