Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

moss growing on soil

Most Recent Posts can anyone identify this
Last post: Sue Deacon
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Sue Deacon
Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
MargeSimpson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: moss growing on soil Reply with quote

Just wondering what causes moss to grow on the soil of flower beds. The beds are south facing so get alot of sun.
I find the moss is difficult to remove even though I weed regularly.
crosseyedsheep

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulphate of Iron is normally used to remove moss from lawns, perhaps it could be used for flower beds as well, It lowers the PH of the soil though so it may or may not be suitable depending on what you've planted. Worth looking into:

http://www.gardenhealth.com/product_range/straights/iron.php

Edit: Removed full stop at the end of the link which was buggering it up, thanks Verge.

Last edited by crosseyedsheep on Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:59 am; edited 2 times in total
verge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: moss growing on soil. Why? How to prevent. Reply with quote

How does that saying go...." Nature hates a vacuum". Mother nature cant stand clean bare soil. Just go to any site that has been deralict for a year or two, there will be no bare soil, it will be all colonised by one form of plant life or another.
Marge, you are removing the weeds so that space is being filled with moss. If you mulched the bed with bark or gravel, this would allow you to give the surface a tickle with a rake every so often. This will prevent the moss settling, of course this will probably work on soil as well.
Also digging your affected flower beds to a depth of a garden fork and incorparating sharp grit will be of benefit. Allowing better drainage discourages moss.
MargeSimpson

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: moss growing on soil. Why? How to prevent. Reply with quote

verge wrote:
...Mother nature can't stand clean bare soil...

That is soooo true.
GarethAustin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Moss on soil Reply with quote

Hi there.

An Application of Armillatox fungicide will sort this moss problem out. In my experience I have foudn that areas treated with a Simazine based weedkiller suffer terribly from moss.

See more about Armillatox on www.armillatox.co.uk
mdvaden
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my thinking about moss when I went to college for landscape and design. At that time, I moved back to my mother's 2 acre property, where I designed the upper acre.

Where the lawn met the beds - with tall trees too - I just allowed the moss to fill in where the grass was sparse in the fall and winter.

Previously, the reason I didn't like moss, was from experience working at golf courses and the weed control classes in college.

Portland Landscape & Trees
Sb
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: moss growing on soil Reply with quote

MargeSimpson wrote:
Just wondering what causes moss to grow on the soil of flower beds. The beds are south facing so get alot of sun.
I find the moss is difficult to remove even though I weed regularly.

I was always raking it out and loosening up the soil. But I found that adding a little lime to the soil helped slow down the spread of it again. Still a bit of raking it out and loosening up of the soil to be done but not as much. Very Happy
dermotj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lines of soft fruit. The ground between the lines is covered with thick moss. Taking it off by heavy raking removes quite a bit soil. Any moss killers I have seen specifies use on paths etc. Is there anything I can use to kill the moss without damaging raspberries - tayberries - blackberries etc.

Dermotj
Maeve Drogheda
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dermotj,

Have you clicked ont eh Igrow naturally advert on the top of the page. The have wonderful products and I know they have one for moss.

Maeve
dermotj

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maeve Drogheda wrote:
dermotj,

Have you clicked ont eh Igrow naturally advert on the top of the page. The have wonderful products and I know they have one for moss.

Maeve

Thanks Maeve, I might try some of that. I would win prizes for moss. I had been thinking of laying down gravel between the lines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: