Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Draining my really wet lawn

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
jaajack
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Draining my really wet lawn Reply with quote

I have a lawn out back circa 40m by 25 that is wet for 9 months of the year. Recently sprayed to kill the rushes which has shown up the lack of grass that actually grows on it! Land before I touched was never the driest (family site) but never too bad. When putting in the lawn I put tile drains every 10 feet but they seem to be having no effect. i think my problem stems from the fact that i have a geo thermal heating system with pipes laid under the lawn and soil backfilled by a large track machine which as compacted the site. these pipes at a dept of circa 2 1/2 feet limit my abilty to dig too deep. Happy to do whatever i have to to fix it...........anyone got any suggestions?
Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fixing compacted soil is a slow job.
it can take years to get soil back in good condition
How to Fix Compacted Soil
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Compacted-Soil
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your problem may be poor drainage or soil that has poor structure, too sticky and does not allow the water to drain off. test your soil first. Take a fistful of soil and when it is wet squeze it hard then drop it on to a hard surface from a height of 60 cms (2ft), If the lump breaks into many parts the soil structure is ok but if it stays intact the soil is unable to drain off the surplus water. You can improve the situation by digging in or rotavating in sand gravel moss peat or spent mushroom compost. Try a small are first (a fewsquare feet)and seeif it works.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: