Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Bulbs in Irelands Gardens

Spring bulbs already sprouting - planted too shallow?!

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
greengiant
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Spring bulbs already sprouting - planted too shallow?! Reply with quote

Hi
I'd be most grateful if someone can give me some advice on the following. Just a few weeks ago I planted a number of bulbs - Tulip, Crocus, Dwarf Daff and Iris - for Spring flowering (mostly in containers) and I'm alarmed to see that they're already sprouting (pretty much all of them)! I planted them to the depths advised on the packets, but I'll assume that they're still planted too shallow.
Is it possible to save them, e.g. is it just a case of throwing more compost over them or should I take them back up and replant them? I'm really eager for them to flower successfully, not least because I put a lot of time into their planting!
Though it's probably not necessary, I've included a couple of photos in case it assists with any replies. Thanks in advance!

PA130015 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  190.34 KB
 Viewed:  10723 Time(s)

PA130015 copy.jpg

PA130014 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.77 KB
 Viewed:  10722 Time(s)

PA130014 copy.jpg

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the planting depth should be measured from the top of the bulb.the top of the bulb is visible in one of the pictures. The sprouting of the bulbs is influenced by temperature. The temperature is too high at the depth that they are planted and they will flower earlier. Cover the bulbs with more compost and put in a cooler place. The roots have to develop first before the flowering shoot emerges.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind me asking, but I have also noticed my daffodils set in the lawn are also sprouting (much like pictures) - is it a bit early for dafs too?

Presumably, there is little I can do as the bulbs are planted in the lawn, and cannot stack compost on top?

me

greengiant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Michael; I've covered them with compost so I'll hope for the best Smile
frengers80

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: re bulbs Reply with quote

hi,i wouldnt be to worried,nature has a great way of working this all out naturally,recent warm spell just brought them on a little earlier.i was out planting daff bulbs yesterday and noticed established bulbs poking their heads up,weird!!!I remember one year planting daffs in april,some flowered in june i think and the following year done so as normal!!so relax
greengiant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks frengers80. Wish I'd read your poat a few minutes earlier though as, in a fit of frustration, I've just taken up the sprouting bulbs (they sprouted again after topping up the compost) & replanted them deeper! Anyway, I hope I haven't jeopardised their chances of coming up in the Spring...
Garlicbreath
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi greengiant, I wouldn't worry too much. The worst that can happen is that they may flower too early! Although you can see the shoots now if we get a cold spell the growth will just stop dead and then restart when it gets warmer again. The roots will keep developing and that's the important bit for a good show of flowers. I read somewhere once that bulbs will actually push themselves further down if they're planted too shallowly. I don't know if that's true or not Confused
frengers80

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: re bulbs Reply with quote

hi,i work in a school an most years the junior school kids "plant "mixed bulbs,they normally just cover them with a skim of soil,we get everything from tulips,daffs,muscari etc and they all grow away fine.daffs do seem to have moved away from the suface,like magic!!!!I planted over a thousand daffs this week,feeling proud of myself,all at the correct depth i might add,should be a nice display next spring,cant wait!!
greengiant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go frengers80! Cool
frengers80

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: re bulbs Reply with quote

must say a big thank you to the wonderful people in lidl,5kgs of top quality bulbs for 7euro top value!!!!I discovered another online bulb seller www.peternyssen.com seems to be pretty good value,well worth checking out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Bulbs in Irelands Gardens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: