Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

sustainable lawns anyone ?

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
urbangardener
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: sustainable lawns anyone ? Reply with quote

hi can anyone give me information on sustainable lawns ? is moss an option i really would like to use something that will not need cutting or excess watering
thanks
Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try thyme or chamomile both make lovely lawns but what kind of an area are you trying to cover ?
urbangardener

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

27m by 5m, what does the camomile lawn look like
thanks for reply
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: wildflower Reply with quote

Hi

You could go for a wildflower lawn, they only need cutting twice a year too...You might need poor soil for a wildflower area to thrive.

There are grass seeds on the market that are low growing...might be worth checking those out.
Have a look at Google images to see what a chamomile lawn looks like...they can be great. I used the wrong type once when I did one, I used the tall growing type....it ended up a bit of a mess....

Most of the lawns up here in Donegal are moss.....they still need cutting as there is a bit of grass in there somewhere....

Last edited by inishindie on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was a "sustainable" or "worry free" lawn, we would all be adorning it. There is not such thing as no maintenance I am afraid.

You will find there are pros and cons on various options.

Tell us more about the site, level of gardening, and what you would realistically like to achieve

me

urbangardener

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i plan to level site, i would like to reduce the need for lawn mowing ( to avoid the use of petrol) but also need it to be durable for access and as close to grass aesthetically .thanks for reply
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you went for the wildflower lawn idea, you could just mow specific access paths through it.....I've seen pictures of such designs and they look beautiful.
ketch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: sustainable lawns anyone ? Reply with quote

urbangardener wrote:
hi can anyone give me information on sustainable lawns ? is moss an option i really would like to use something that will not need cutting or excess watering
thanks

Grass & mosses are two of many groundcover plants - perhaps assess your needs and then take a whole new look at the groundcover plant family - if you need a place to sit reserve a minimum of 3 by 3 meters & use a fine gravel as the surface. All this will add up to an interesting space and to sustainable drainage as rainwater will percolate downwards. Plants like ivy and vinca mostly survive unattended once established provided conditions are right for them & require little or no watering or other maintenance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: