Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Dogs and my beautiful lawn

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Ray and Fiona
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Dogs and my beautiful lawn Reply with quote

OK I loves my two dogs but sometimes I could strangle them, particulary when I notice that they have dug a few holes in my lawn that I've spent ages getting right.

Anybody with any suggestions of how to stop the dogs digging holes?

I'm not going to shoot or drown them Evil or Very Mad Laughing

Thanks in advance.

Ray.
Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ray I have two dogs that could put any JCB to shame and I was at near breaking point with all the damage being done to the lawn and the fact that every morning I awoke to a different shrub on my back door step and two innocent looking pooches looking out of their houses at me !! Evil or Very Mad I accept now that dogs need to be dogs and they love to dig so I gave them a plot of their own and surrounded the rest with the " Petsafe radio fence " It works by laying a tiny wire around the out of bounds area that sends a signal to the dogs collar when he approaches too close it beeps as a first warning, if he proceeds he receives a mild correction in the form of a shock. Now do gooders the world over will be up in arms at the very thought, but the fact is the dog will learn very quickly about his boundaries and the correction is mild when set correctly, and yes I have tested it on myself ! Shocked I am more than happy with the system and I use it to keep the dogs away from the front gates aswell, like I said it's not everyones cup of tea but if it comes to a choice between the dogs having the craic all night long or me going insane , I choose my sanity every time. I can show you pics of the area of lawn the dogs use as a playground and it would make any gardener cry buckets. Best of luck Laughing
Ray and Fiona

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Foxylock. I have already purchased the Petsafe radio fence but it was a bit of a disaster as my dog got very scared and wouldn't leave the house. He is a rescue dog and I think he may have been treated badly in the past as he is a very nervious dog at the best of times.

I spent €300 on the petsafe fence and used it once. Anybody want to buy an almost new one? Smile Smile
Foxylock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try walking around the boundary with him on a lead and the receiver just set to beep ? worked a treat with my two and one of them is a very nervous breed.
Ray and Fiona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I didn't know that you could set it to beep only. How do you do that?

Thanks,

Ray
sal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought one of those only my spaniel/labrador cross jumped through it constantly,he yelped as he went but it didnt deter him,i have come to think a long chain is the only remedy
Foxylock

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howya Ray.

There's a little button on the receiver that goes on the dog collar this enables you to change the settings. The LED will flash to let you know what level it's set to : one flash = beep only, two flashes = beep with mild correction, three flashes the correction is a little stronger and so on. What type of receiver do you have ? Ultralight or the more heavier type , the principle is the same anyway. I use the ultralight for my Setter and the heavy duty for the German Shepherd, but to be honest the Setter tests his boundaries much more than his buddy. The nature of a hunting dog I guess.

Hi Sal.

I can understand your frustration at paying so much for a system that doesn't seem to work, I set up a visible boundary for my two lunatics at the start with some pegs and twine , that prevented them from running through it and slowed them down so they were at the right side when they received the correction. If the dog runs over it and gets the shock after the boundary it will confuse them, they might even think the shock is worth the freedom, again I put them on a lead and walked them around letting them test the boundary but not letting them break through. Now my two guys will run at full speed into the lawn after a bird or rabbit and come to a screeching halt in front of the boundary. It's worth persevering with although not infallible it does the trick for me. Sorry this post has run on a bit, hope this helps . Good luck Very Happy
Ray and Fiona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise Foxylock. I will give that a try.
sal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks will try a visable fence too,
Foxylock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent let us know how ye get on, all the best Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: