Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Lidl Fruit Trees

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
treascon09
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Lidl Fruit Trees Reply with quote

Anyone know if the apple trees that Lidl sell are worth sowing? Or would I be better to spend a bit extra on a bigger tree?? Is it a case of you get what you pay for? How long should I have to wait for a crop? I have lots of space and would love a proper orchard in the future. Any tips on location etc would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance...
AJ
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year bought about 8 different ones in lidl or aldi . Stuck them in next to a fence, trimmed them back and 2 fruited this year. Nice fruits too. Maybe the others will fruit next year. Wink
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd be inclined to go to irish seed savers and get a better range than lidl can offer - if you're serious about putting together an orchard, spending about fifteen quid more on each tree is not a big deal.
juststarting

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought 6 fruit trees from lidl 2 years ago 3 apple and 3 cherry,i lost 2 cherry and 1 apple,the cherry trees have not given any fruit at all and the apple trees have have only given small apples in hindsight i should have bought more mature trees but hopefully some year i'll get a good crop
summer
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi treascon09. All i can tell you is i bought some Cox's Apple tree's in Aldi about 3/4 years ago, and would recommend anyone to buy those in Aldi. Dont know about the Lidl ones, but more than likely they are the same. I had Fruit the following Year, and years, one of those Tree's was loaded this year with Fruit, absolute lovely eating apples. I also bought one in Aldi last Autumn, and i had about 20 Fruits on it this year.

By the way, i have no connection with Aldi Stores, just giving my opinion, on what i bought their.
richard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter where you buy you trees .
The most important is where they buy the trees.
And that you regonize a sick tree.
When a tree is infected with Nectria Galligena,most of the time it happend in the nursery,but the disease is difficult to regonize.
mcgrueser
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see there are bare root apple and pear trees in Lidl now for €3.99 each. I was going to get a good few but then I felt guilty because I started to think about not supporting Irish Garden Centres. But even more so at the moment i'm thinking about imported trees and disease and all the rest, what with the latest Ash disease being brought in...

Should I just go for it and buy the trees and plant them for myself or should I be more patriotic??
Sive

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe the answer to your question is in your post already !
medieval knievel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know if the trees will successfully cross pollinate? and that they're suited to the climate?
you can get trees for cheap, but that's not much good if you don't get apples from them.
Greengage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what varieties are they. As for pollination of Apples have a look here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_tree_pollination#Apple
Margo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience of these trees from Aldi/Lidyl usually have a ticket on them saying what type they are and also whether they are self pollinating or not.
mcgrueser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have info on their label saying what to pollinate with. They seem to be the standard, well known apple and pear trees. On the label it has their "passport number", of that tells us anything?

IMAG0880.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  640.98 KB
 Viewed:  6321 Time(s)

IMAG0880.jpg

ian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: fruit tree Reply with quote

it does'nt say what size it'll grow to or which root stock it is grafted onto, i bought two cherry trees from lidl and although the have grown well 4 years old now, they do not fruit well about a dozen tasy fruits last season which is'nt much for all the love it gets, also both were subjected to ants farming aphids this as well. However if you buying to stock an orchard talk to some of the Irish suppliers to see if you can get a price and a variety to your liking you can always build the orchard up year on year with as many varieties as you like. Anyway that is what i would choose to do if i had such a luxury, make the best of and good luck. regards
Greengage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should not be teling you this but dont pay much heed to these labels they are just a lable with general info supplied to all nurseries, garden centres in Ireland probably supplied by Hortipak you can check them out on the web.
One of the problems with these bare roooted plants discussed here is how long they have been out of the ground and how they have been treated by handlers and suppliers before they reach the supermarket shelf, for a good quality tree go to your local nursery or garden centre they will have advice and replacement for you tree if you have problems.
These palnts can be sometimes mis labled by staff who know no better after all an Aple tree is an apple tree and some cannot tell the differance between an Apple and a Pear or cherry without fruit on it I kid you not.. Buyer Beware!!
Gautama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given how mild the autumn and early winter have been, it's been too early to uproot trees and shrubs. It's only with the cold snap of this week that transplanting of bare rooted trees should begin.

Note, the above comment applies to Ireland only. I don't know what the weather has been like elsewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: