Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses

Does monarda, bergamot goes invasive?

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Joanna
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Does monarda, bergamot goes invasive? Reply with quote

Hi

I have young monarda plants from seed. They scare me a little as i see how quick they increased by underground shoots in pots.
Does it go invasive if planted in free soil?

Should i tread it as i would tread mint plants?

Joanna
Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joanna

I have recently got some of these as seed as well from http://www.seedaholic.com. I looked up the fairly comprehensive information provided but it does'nt say anything about it being invasive. apparently it's a " foolproof plant, trouble free and a joy in the garden " I suppose time will tell.

It also says " Resist the temptation to crowd plants too closely they will spread of their own accord soon enough. Clumps should be divided every three years, in spring to remove excess woody growth which will in time retard good growth. "

When did you plant yours and did they germinate easily ? I must have a crack off mine soon and see how we get on, smashing plant though. Take care Very Happy
Joanna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sow them in late spring this year, round may, i think.
I'm very bad with my gardening scrap book, but need to start something like that some day... Embarassed

The plants are now round 40 cm high, bushy and well rooted in 1,5 litre pots. I'm hoping them to flower next year. Rolling Eyes

I discovered that if you feed them generously they foliage wonderfully smells lemon like.

Just got bit scared as one of pots is full of tiny shoots from underground. But never heard anything bad about this plants.
Foxylock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will surely get flowers next year so. Flowering season is May into August. Some useless facts : Oswego tea is made from its leaves and used to improve digestion, Both leaves and blooms contain thymol-related antiseptic and antibiotic properties and the leaves when crushed make a handy insect repellant. Wink Laughing Laughing
Joanna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great,
I wanted it for it smell, now i know there is some other ways to use it

Laughing

cheers
Foxylock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to ask, what variety of Monarda do you have ? Me nosiness at me again Laughing
Joanna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem is i have no idea what they are

i bought a mix of few species. I hate buying mixes but it was only seeds i could get at the time...

will need to wait till they grow and flower and then ask someone for exact names.
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: bergamot and invasiveness Reply with quote

This plant spreads through underground shoots or runners and will sneak in amongst other plants taking up their locations, even shrubs. But it is easy to pull out, unlike lilly of the valley which has deeper, stubborn roots. You can even hand pull it. But by the time you see how much it's spread, it looks so nice, attracts bees and butterflies and the colour is immense, that you'll probably wait until it's done flowering. I put it in to places where I want to get some territory away from a messy patch. Let it go for a season, tear it up and you have a nice bald patch. It transplants easy too. Just take a slip and put it in the ground anywhere. I have red and pink, though there are some doubles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Perennials, Ferns and Ornamental grasses All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: