Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Marl and rotavator, hello everyone looking for some advice

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
juststarting
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Marl and rotavator, hello everyone looking for some advice Reply with quote

as my name says i'm"juststarting" in to gardening well just on 8 monthsmainly veg.with my neighbours help i grew some potatoes,lettuce and cabbage that turned out edible.lost my brocolli as they went to seed on me. my veg were mostly in raised beds but this year i would like to plant in the ground however i live in the southeast and the ground is all marl i started double digging a area earlier in the summer but with the wet weather i got caught out .so now i am looking for somewhere to buy a cheap rotavator any suggestions,also on what veg and plants do well in this type of soil
thank you looking forward to the helpyou can give me

Quote:
Exclamation Help us help you! Your post has been edited by a moderator to add a descriptive title.
Original title too generic....... (hello everyone looking for some advice)
Members should try to use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic.
This helps others find your post, allowing you to receive replies, plus it leaves a searchable store of information for gardeners coming after you........ see rule 11 http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about27.html
ian
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my advice would be to forget the rotovator and get back to double digging doing a little every day you have plenty of time, so take it handy, pull out all roots as you go,
regards Ian
Sonairte

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Double digging Reply with quote

Don't do it, especially if you have a heavy clay soil. All it does is destroy the soil structure and your back. Don't use a rotavator either. If you are starting this time of year to make a garden bed for next year go looking for a length of heavy black polythene that you can weight down over the area you are trying to clear - old silage sheet is the best. Empty compost bags work well too. Or a few layers of heavy cardboard. Weight them down well so the wind won't catch it. If you do it now the weeds will die from lack of light and the worms will have taken the dead foliage down into the soil by spring - you'll have your soil pretty well cleaned and the soil will have been enriched by all that organic material. Then you can just use a light border fork to get out any of the perennial weeds that are still kicking.

As a matter of interest why did you decide to abandon the raised beds?

kathy

juststarting

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathy

i havent abandoned the raised beds totally but wood costs money and its very hard to get good soil for them down here in wexford
Sonairte

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raised beds don't have to have sides - you can mound them over - which means you can plant tall stuff in the middle and lower plants round the edges. This stabilises the bed and isn't a home for woodlice and slugs - which the edges of constructed raised beds can be
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: