Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Thuja Occ Brabant, brown branches in heavy clay.

Most Recent Posts Fertiliser for shrubs in flower bed
Last post: tommo2
how to repair "holes" in coniferous shrubs
Last post: digress
Best solution for slugs?
Last post: Sue Deacon
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
miss_bucket
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Thuja Occ Brabant, brown branches in heavy clay. Reply with quote

Hi,

we have a Thuja Occ Brabant hedge along a fence - there's nearly 100 trees in total, they were planted in March this year at a height of at least 60 cm.

They came in pots from the nursery and were planted straight away. Now, six months later on nearly all of them there are brown branches, not all have grown well, a few have grown very well - about 8 of the trees are nearly entirely brown by now - branches are dead.

The soil is quite clayey and heavy, but according to the landscaper who planted them that shouldn't make a difference. We were advised not to have to fertilize the trees and only occasionally watered them, as there was quite a lot of rain anyway this summer.
Upon looking at them about 2 weeks ago the landscaper put on some chicken menure - but that didn't make a difference so far.

My first thought was water logging - but the hedge is along a slope and both, trees at top and bottom, are affected, and I'm very sure, that the top trees couldn't have been sitting in water.

I had a tree surgeon in recently and he's pretty certain that the reason that the trees are not doing well is a fungus - possibly Didimascella or Kabatina Thujae, that already came in with the pots - he said it is quite common for Thuja, yet in Ireland pretty unknown...

I went back to the nursery, where the landscaper got the trees, and they said I was the first one to ever complain - if it was a fungus, I needed microscopic proof, which would cost a fortune to get done and am not sure if this actually is worth doing.

What do I do next? Cannot afford to lose the hedge - invested a lot of money into this hedge and if it needs replacing I need to know, if this was our fault of if it actually came in with the trees, like the tree surgeon suggested.

The trees are dying and I need help badly - is there anything we can do???
Thanks for some sort of advice. Confused

miss_bucket

Exclamation Edited by moderator to add descriptive title.
Original title too generic....... (Thuja Occ Brabant)
see rule 11
Members should try to use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic.
This helps others find your topic, allowing you to receive replies, plus it leaves a searchable store of information for gardeners coming after you.
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like over or underwatering to me miss_bucket. I would love to see pics of the affected trees (closeups?), site soil and lie of the land to help you more. Smile
Michael196
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thujas dislike water, the soil might be retaining enough water around the roots so as to be unsatisfactory to the thujas.

think of the natural forest soil conditions of a forest , are u significanlty different to that ? u may not be waterlogged but the soil may not be suitable.

thye are barely in 6 months, so dont rip them up just yet.

Consider digging out one or two and determine if teh soil around them is wet at the moment. We did get a lot of rain over the summer and if the soil retained the water ( as heavy clay will do) this may be the problem.

A remedy here would be to add compost , by digging around the trees, in late october to february, dig out some soil and dispose of it and add in compost .

Loose Compost is available relativly cheaply at about 75 euro per tonne from Enrich Co Meath ( enrich.ie)

All is not lost yet , as trees can take their time establsihing, particulariily if the soil is not suitable.

But I would not replant Thujas untill a trench is dug and compost put in there and then thujas replanted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: