Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices

Tumbler Composters

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
shell
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Tumbler Composters Reply with quote

Hi, This is my first posting, so I hope I am doing it right !!!
I was wondering if anyone has used or knows anything about a Tumbleweed tumbler composter ? Are they any good ? Do I really need two as the web sites I have viewed have sugested ? Any Information would be a great help.
Thanks
Shell
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea behind the tumbler style composters is that you don't need to get in there with a garden fork and turn the contents every so often.
This is recommended with a standard heap or bin to aerate the mix so that the compost process does not falter.
That's why many gardeners would have two composters side by side allowing them to for from one to the other ensuring a good mix.
Often they would instead have two composters side by side one for "composting in process" and the other for "ready to use in the garden" compost.

shell If your tumbler composter works effectively then all the turning and aeration work should be done with a spin or two every time you load it.
You shouldn't need a second tumbler, but a second standard bin to hold the "ready to use in the garden" compost would be helpful.

If you are looking for composters you should be able to source some here....... Compost bins

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
shell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks James,
I have been debating this subject for a while and have come to the same conclusion as you, a regular bin in conjunction with the tumbler. I am so "green" when it comes to this kind of stuff I just wanted to make sure it made sence to those in the "know".
Thanks again
Shell
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've heard very mixed reviews of those - that they're more hassle than they're worth. i've never tried using one though.
shell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for that medievel knievel, I will do some more searching before I make a decision. Do you have any other sugestions for composting without the physical effort of turning the pile every 6 weeks ?
Shell
cathd
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could hot compost for the first two weeks- turning or aerating every 4 days or so, and then introduce compost worms who will do all the turning for you. (If you add the worms before hot composting, they'll just move out if the pile gets too hot!) I get really good compost in under 3 months (summer) doing this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: