Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Hedging that won't offend neighbours

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
cazzi
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Hedging that won't offend neighbours Reply with quote

Hi,

This is my first post so a big hello to everyone. Very Happy

We have just bought a new detached house in the country on an half an acre site. The site is bordering neighbours on each side. There is wooden posting separating the sites. We plan to have kids soon and would like to secure the site a bit more all around to stop the little critters from wandering out and stop the bigger critters from wandering in!

We don't want to infringe on our new neighbours by having a hedge grow over there side of the boundry so we are wondering what our best options are? Can a sreen be put up to stop the hedge growing over the other side or would that prevent the hedge from growing???

All help and advice would ber greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cazzi
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I would do, is have a chat with my neighbours and see what their thoughts on the matter is.

The only things that wouldn't intrude on their spaces would be fencing, walls etc.

Have a chat with them first so that you're all singing from the same hymn sheet.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would echo kindred spirits advice
Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes definitely talk to the neighbours. I decimated a whitethorn ditch so I could pour a foundation for a wall once, holy smokes the fireworks we had !! But it wasn't worth the aggro. All best of friends now the ditch has grown back and I'm flat out trying to get something to grow up the cursed wall Laughing
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hedging that won't offend neighbours Reply with quote

A screen could be put up to prevent encroachment, however this has two main downsides.
1. Your screening plant will not have access to light on the side of the solid screen, thus reducing its growth rate.
2. If the solid screen is ever removed your neighbours will be looking at leafless stems due to long-term lack of light. Some plants will resprout leaves from this situation, others won't.

Your situation sounds like a screen of pyracantha would suit.
This is a great fence shrub, ideal for growing length-ways along your boundary.

It's thorny so should have no problem keeping the bigger critters from wandering in, for the little critters from wandering out you can supplement it with a run of chicken wire along the base as you will have to do with most living barriers.
Have a look at pyracantha here......

Another Irish gardeners forum member has used it before, see here........... Pyracantha Hedge to stop kids using my garden as a shortcut.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: