Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

How are your potatoes cropping ?

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: How are your potatoes cropping ? Reply with quote

As this is my first year growing spuds I had probably unrealistic expectations of the potato crop. However it's the darn slugs that have me really fed up they have definitely destroyed one third of the crop and had a nibble on nearly all the rest Mad Does anyone else have a major slug problem ? What varieties of spud are you growing and how are they doing ? I grew Maris Peers for the earlies and they were a smashing spud, I have a maincrop called Cara and although they have been devastated the ones that survived were quite nice, so one drill of King Edwards left and I wait with bated breath and hopeful enthusiasm that them little slippery devils haven't beat me to another meal.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

different varieties have different resistances to slug damage. This year however every variety suffered from slug damage. Don't be disheartened however there is nothing you could have done to prevent it entirely. Once the slugs go down to the the developing potatoes they are in a safe secure place. i know that in the same plot of ground Kerrs pink will suffer badly whereas Golden Wonders will hardly be touched. Roosters are intermediate. raised beds and drills that provide good drainage also help. Slugs like high humus content in soil and moisture. if you survived with potatoes this year then it can only get better.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

Foxylock

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael, I grew them in raised beds this year but I was thinking of going all traditional next year and sowing them in drills.
Fiachra
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Foxylock,
This was my first year growing potatoes too.I grew second earlies - British Queens. I grew them in a raised bed about 7ft square and we had enough for a family of 5 for about a month.We were thrilled!
By the way, thanks to Michael on advise re blight.
I just lifted some kerrs pinks the other day.Like you the slugs have got some but the ones they didnt get were lovely and floury.Some of them are very small though.I have sarpos too (mira or axona can't remember which) I haven't lifted any yet as they are still flowering.Will let you know in a few weeks.
Foxylock

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play Fiachra, I tried everywhere to get the British Queens this year but alas it was not to be. Will be much wiser next year. Rolling Eyes
treascon09

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first year sowing spuds too and i sowed them in drills. Weeds were my biggest problem but anyway i lifted them all a few weeks ago and dried out in shed ( Pic attached) I was thinkin of raised beds for next year. I have a thing in my head that it defines an area and might be easier to get weeded! maybe thats mad.. Anyway I sowed 7 stone of seed back in march and the crop is in pic. no idea how many stone but seems like lots. Any ideas on what to do with really small ones? If i keep seed for next year what size should they be?

Thanks in advance
Foxylock

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 stone !! ay caramba as Bart Simpson would say. You must be overrun with spuds. I was told anything about the size of a hen egg is good for planting but you can cut the bigger ones also. My younger sis takes most of my midget spuds and halves them to make wedges, I think she makes potato salad with them as well. In fact between her and the slugs I hardly have a spud left Laughing
Fiachra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
I got the British Queens by mail order from mr. midleton at the end of Feb.
I throw the small spuds into soups and stews.You can also cook them in the oven in olive oil, a bit of garlic and a few herbs and throw them hot into a salad.Yummy!
Cityblowin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year was my first attempt and I went with sacks.

Used Marris pipers and Desiree

Very pleased with results - some scab on the Marris pipers but no slug damage - beginners luck I suppose.

I used 80 per cent compost & 20 per cent manure in the sacks which was perhaps overkill maybe I should have mixed in some soil.

all this talk about spuds think I will have a baked tonight with kerry gold..........drooling over the key board
Foxylock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lifted 5 stalks of King Edwards today and was delighted, a large yield and almost no slug damage. Ate some this evening and they were only savage. My faith in spuddery has been restored Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: