Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

apple jelly jam how to

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: apple jelly jam how to Reply with quote

does anyone have a recipe for apple jelly jam. my mother lord rest her used to make it and i remember the big pot on the stove bubbling away but i dont know the ratio of ingredients
any help gratefully appreciated
thanks
Garden fairie
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my recipe for Apple jelly. I'm sorry it is long winded but I tried to write it for someone who has no experience.

Apple Jelly,

For Apple jelly you can use good windfalls, cooking apples, crab apples or the skins and cores of apples used for tarts. Using all crab apples will give a sharper taste but a lovely amber colour. I mix crab apples with the others about half and half.

Fill your saucepan ¾ full and cover the apples with water.
You can add a few whole cloves
Add a stick of cinnamon if you like,
Bring to the boil and simmer for at least an hour on low.
Have a place ready to hang your jellybag up, a broom handle between two kitchen chair seats will do. Have it high enough for the jelly to drip into the bowl/container
Place a jellybag or a white pillowcase or a square of sheeting (all clean of course) over a large bowl or container previously scalded.
Pour the apple mush into this. DO NOT MASH IT DOWN.
Bring it over to the broom handle and put it directly underneath it, you can adjust it later.
Draw all the sides of bag up and tie it to the centre of the handle. Use clothes pegs to secure the flaps if you think it may slip.
The juice should run into the centre of the bowl. Leave for 6/8 hours or overnight.
DO NOT SQUEEZE THE BAG or the jelly will be cloudy.
Compost the contents of the bag afterwards.

To make the Jelly,

Have your jampots sterilised and ready.
Have a large clean saucepan ready, a woodenspoon, a sterilised jug and funnel.

Measure in the juice and for every 1 pint (568ml) use 1 lb (454g) of sugar,
Melt the sugar by continual stirring and bring to the boil, turn down the heat a bit, you need to keep it on a rolling boil and do not stir (it breaks up the scum and it is hard to collect then).

Test to see if it is setting by putting a little on a saucer and putting it in the fridge for a few minutes-( keep the jelly cooking). It should have a skin on it when you take it out of the fridge. It will also start setting on your wooden spoon if you dip it into the centre of the jelly and leave it for a few mins on the spoon. If you are using a sugar thermomether cook until it reaches 220F.

When you think it is set, take off the heat and carefully skim off all the scum. I use a tablespoon spoon and bowl for this.
Using a clean jug and funnel if you have one pot up the jelly quickly, cover with jam covers or clean lids and leave until cold and set. Label as desired.

Enjoy your Jelly, Kay.

forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi kay
thanks a million for going to the trouble of explaining it so well
much appreciated
paddy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Recipe drop All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: