Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Getting Soil Ready For Lawn

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
summer
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Getting Soil Ready For Lawn Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I am in the process of preparing my soil, for to make it into a lawn. Its 12 yds x 10 yds. I had it sowed with veg, for the past three years (Potatoes/Cabbage/ Onnions, ect). It would be of great help to me, if someone here on the Forum, could tell me on how much Grass Seed, i would need for this Area, or what type of Seed do i get. Also do i need to Roll it before i sow the seed, or do i wait to sow, and then Roll. Any help would be apprecated.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will need about 7 lbs of seed. the normal requirement is one ounce per square yard, (some books advise 2 ounces), even at half ounce per square yard there is more than enough even allowing for birds. You sow the seed as evenly as possible and then mix the seed with the soil by raking it back and forth with a rake but only disturbing soil half inch deep as you will never succeed in covering all the seed. Soil should be dry when sowing. Type of seed, if you want a first class lawn then sow a mixture of 5 parts Creeping Red Fescue, 3 parts Sheeps Fescue and two parts Browntop at half an ounce per square yard. This will be slow to get established. For an ordinary lawn get a number two lawn seed mix
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired).
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi summer
spot on advice from michael
when i am sowing a lawn i scatter some gritty white sand with the seed or just after.i find the birds dont tend to bother too much pecking at the seed because of the sand
summer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, michael & forest flame. As always, i am shure of the best advice, from all you Guy's here. Will do, as you say. Many Thank's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: