Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Design ideas for a lawn replacement??

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
missy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Design ideas for a lawn replacement?? Reply with quote

I have a small urban garden it has indian sandstone on the patio, and cream gravel to the right with various small shrubs growing and in pots. On the left is a tiny patch of lawn and to be honest I'm just wondering why I have it it always grows in clumps of grass and is patchy even when I put the evergreen on I dont think its worth having a tiny lawn that doesnt really do anything for the garden. Therefore I am trying to think of other ideas a pond is out re plumbing and hassle, tall shrubs also as I have a little rockery behind and dont want it getting too hidden and not keen on paving it as I have sandstone, gravel and a paved path already. Basically looking for some all year perennial colour, hardy shrubs/plants for semi shade in clay soil. Its a square patch of lawn about 11ft L x 7ft W. I dont think its serving any purpose in a small garden like mine There is a concrete block wall to the right of it with ivy and some clematis also.

Also how would I go about getting rid of lawn - cover it with plastic to kill grass, dig it up or just plant on top of lawn never done this before.
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Vision Reply with quote

Hi Missy...

Sounds like you have a vision....

Would there be any chance you could take a couple of photo's and upload them onto the forum?

It would be easier to see what's going on on the plot.....

The weed suppressing material is a good solution and you could plant through it with some shrubs. The material that covers it would be important to blend in and compliment the patio...

Cheers

Ian

missy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will take a photo at weekend and upload will be easier to know what I'm talking about Smile
kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing your piccies yet, what about a small statue in the middle of the ex-lawn surrounded by brown/purple ground covers?

(Just an idea.)

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi missy
you could kill off the lawn and sow chamomile which though looks like a lawn never needs mowing and the added attraction is when you walk on it the scent is magnificent. you could plant bulbs such as snowdrops and dwarf tulips and daffodils which would come through it in the spring
just a thought
missy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pictures of the back garden and of the lawn in detail

garden1.JPG
 Description:
Back garden
 Filesize:  98.8 KB
 Viewed:  9550 Time(s)

garden1.JPG

garden2.JPG
 Description:
Back lawn
 Filesize:  104.4 KB
 Viewed:  9550 Time(s)

garden2.JPG

inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Hi

Looks interesting....I'll have a think about what could be done....in the mean time how about looking at some Bloom images for a bit of inspiration....most of them are for small gardens and some of them don;t rely on total sunlight.........

http://www.gardening.ie/zenphoto/index.php?album=bloom-2008

Cheers

Ian

kindredspirit
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea 1: Keep ivy on wall. Put gravel both sides of path and place large pots artistically on both sides. Ban small pots.

Idea 2: Put gravel on both sides and plant bamboo and phormiums. The bamboo more on the left where it will hide the concrete block wall.

Idea 3: Dig up the existing path and re-lay it in a wiggly-woggley shape ending in the middle of the door. Plant bamboo and phormiums with an arch over the path. Use bamboo to hide wall on left.

Idea 4: Get rid of gravel either side of path. Grow ivy up both walls. Put mass planting of black/brown/purple ajuga both sides of path, interspersed with one Golden Wave phormium on the left and two more on the right.

A little garden in Co. Limerick.Some non-gardening photographs.
barremic
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe try some bark and some softer woodland planting for a contrast to the gravel and paving. The green of the ivy would complement well.

Especially at this time of year you could put down some nice colour spring bulbs, to add splashes of colour for spring?
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forest flame,i like the idea of a camomile lawn,think i will pinch it!
missy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for ideas for the left concrete wall am going to put bamboo fencing give it a tropical feel in this weather! On the lawn side want a good splash of colour was thinking of curving the lawn I have a log roll and was going to use that to shape the lawn, putting small shrubs and palms, ferns and tall flowers to the back near the ivy part of wall and towards the front near path smaller perennial flowers and rockery plants.

Should I just plant the flowers/shrubs cover lawn with plastic or take up the grass
also what suggestions for all round colour would like a mix of perenials, wild flowers, bulbs, cottage type flowers.
sal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good missy,i had a good offer through on the magazine the irish garden.sept issue.there were offers on bulbs,good value and good variety i thought,
we covered the ground with weed cover first although it is a larger area,we still have a very small amount of weeding but the kids can do it in minutes as soon as they show,as there is plastic underneath the weeds have nothing to root to properly,
missy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got my first two plants for my new challenge an african lily beautiful blue flower heads and a black eyed susan. I plan to put these towards the inside of the wall along with a cordyline, one or two conifers, ferns lavender and will plant some daffs and tulips and maybe a small hebe or dwarf rose. I will need to get some smaller hardy plants for near the path. Still deciding on whether to plant them, kill the grass first or lay down plastic on the lawn. Would love to get this up and running before the Winter sets in not that we have good gardening weather at the moment Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: