Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Lidl's Florabest Garden Tools

Most Recent Posts Can you iIdentify this small tree please?
Last post: Greengage
Broad Bean Disease ?
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Good guy
white hydrangea - which variety?

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Gautama
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Lidl's Florabest Garden Tools Reply with quote

I was thinking of buying a petrol chainsaw and I see that Lidl have one from Monday for €100.
Has anyone every bought their Florabest power tools (chainsaws or other power tools) and would you recommend them?
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi gautama
i bought a petrol chainsaw in either aldi or lidl a couple of years back and unfortuneately i would not recommend it to anyone. the chain is a lot weaker than a stihl and doesnt last.on the other hand i bought a submersible pump there and a pressure sprayer 5ltr and both of them are excellent so maybe the quality of the chainsaw has improved.
Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when it comes to power tools and chainsaws you get what you pay for and buying cheap generic brands is a false economy in the long run. Spend a few quid extra on a reputable brand keep it serviced and it will last for years. I have a Husquvarna chainsaw with 12 years and although it has lost it's looks it still performs admirably.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bought a chainsaw once and spent two days trying to start it, brought it back and they tried to persuade me to take another one, got my money back. Electric chain saw was a disaster , lots of faults, i kept repairing it, never again.
michael brenock
Gautama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pay for quality then? In that case I may give Florabest a skip.

Also, I did some googling and there are a number of posts where people have had trouble finding Florabest parts.

I have an electric McCullock that I haven't used that much and it's given me no problems. However, I need a petrol one so I may buy a Husquvarna.

Where's the best place (in the Dublin area) to buy one? If memory serves I can't recall seeing one in Homebase or B&Q. Am I better off going to Atlantic or Woodies, or a Builders Providers like Brooks?
Foxylock

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good quality makes are : Husquvarna, Stihl and Tanaka. As regards where to buy , maybe try the selling agents for the above brands. They will be willing to haggle and might take a trade in if you need to offload the electric chainsaw. Who needs two ?? I would only buy from the larger stores as a last resort . I find that there are much better deals to be got with the smaller dealers. Best of luck Wink
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a very good place in the kcr industrial estate with a good after sales service. thats where i got a stihl about 10 years ago and its still running well.
Forum Product Finder
Irish gardeners forum support.

Location: On the web, seeking out products to help our members.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our sister site Gardenseller.com has a comprehensive selection of garden tools available.
Have a look..... Garden tools.

birdie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have some Lidl's Florabest hand tools myself. hedge shears and hand clippers and the like. They are good for what I paid for them which was not much. However they will not take any major abuse I can see that when i try to make the clippers cut a twig that is bigger than its meant for.
murfinthecountry
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I bought an electric Florabest tiller and it worked well for a while until the drive mechanism gave up. I couldn't get the spares to fix it. Also being electric meant dragging a cable behind me which was is not the best idea. I searched on ebay and found that Honda do a small petrol driven tiller and I bought one. Superb machine. Its the old story that you get what you pay for.
Ato_Zee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gautama wrote:
You pay for quality then? In that case I may give Florabest a skip.

Also, I did some googling and there are a number of posts where people have had trouble finding Florabest parts.

Same here, I'm being quoted more than the original price of the item that I bought from LIDL.
Queried it with them "Are you quoting for the whole product?"
"No that's the price for a spare blade."
Last time I buy Florabest.
anthonynolan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Florabest garden shredder Reply with quote

I bought a Florabest garden shredder in Lidl a couple of weeks ago. It lasted about 30 minutes. It said on the packaging that it would handle branches up to 40 mm. I did not put anything near that size into it. It also says that it is especially suited to newly cut green material, but it does not say that it won't work with non green stuff.
I brought it back and in fairness to them, they just swopped it. They offered money back, but I reckon this is still a useful thing to have for cutting up small stuff. It came with a 3 year guarantee, so I would be happy to get that out of it. I have a very small garden and would not be able to justify a 'proper' one of these.

Geranimojess
Rank attained: Vegetable garden tender

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Mc Quillans of Caple St. they have the Stock and the Expertise to advise and guide you for whatever your looking for.When I was beginning to serve my Apprenticeship "Mannnnnny Mannnnnny" years ago I purchased my Tools there,I still use many of those Tools to this Day.As Pat the Baker says "For more years than I care to remember".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: