Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

O Stony grey soil of Mayo : how to sieve or remove stones

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Grovey
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: O Stony grey soil of Mayo : how to sieve or remove stones Reply with quote

Hi,
I have spent most of the season digging and picking out stones from a large veg patch, approx. 20m x 20m. I have been able to plant less than half of it as the work required to remove stones is so much that mostly that's all I get to do. I have already had it dug over and levelled by a machine and in my ignorance I thought that this would leave it nearly ready for cultivation, that was a foolish assumption !! Does anyone know of a machine or technique that I can use to remove all stones down to say 1/4" other than the picking by hand method.
Yours frustrated & sore-backed !! Sad Question
NoobGardener

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's annoying, isn't it. I've just gone through the same...me back was in bits.

Hire the local kids to come and do it for you
POPPY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No advice but lots of sympathy, we're in just inside the stoney border of Mayo as well. We picked and picked and picked stones but they just seem to breed over here!

We have three raised beds now that we put topsoil into and they're grand. The potato patch is relatively stone free now but that was a awful lot of work but they did break up the ground a bit and that soil is looking really good now.With all the stones we had we were able to build a wall around it.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leave the stones there ,any stone greater than 5 cms (2 inches) can be removed. Stones are there for good soil structure, drainage and as a source of nutrients. Stones are constantly being eroded down into fine clay particles and roots of plants use them as anchors. I find that this is the biggest mistake that allotment holders make. by all means remove big rocks and concrete blocks..
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: