Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

I kill everything except weeds?

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
asweeney
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: I kill everything except weeds? Reply with quote

The only edible thing i managed to grow this summer was three undersized tomatoes. earlier this year i sowed potatoes in big pots, but after a few months there was a distinct rotten/decayed smell and I ended up putting this mess on the compost heap. Same thing happened with my attempt at growing onions. They were soft and decayed when i pulled them up. I have an unbelieveable problem with slugs, they are everywhere. You cannot take a step on the grass without standing on one. The wild rabbits enjoyed the lettuce I planted. To avoid the pests I erected a plastic greenhouse, purchased in lidl, seeded a load of veg, herbs etc. only to witness the entire setup roll down the road, after a particularly windy night. I am a great source of amusement to friends and family when it comes to gardening. I am only in our newly built house 3 years and trying to create a garden/ vegatable patch. I definitely need help... my husband would love to tarmac the field! what can i sow now that is idiot-proof?
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for all your woes. Grass encourages slugs, so keep grass down where vegetables are growing. Put netting up to keep out the rabbits. concentrate on a small area of ground initially and see what the results are like. What happened to your onions? was it pests diseases or weeds ? was there drainage in the container for the potatoes? don't give up yet, this was the worst year ever for gardening.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
asweeney

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael, you are spot on about drainage being a problem. the heavy rain made a swamp of the potted spuds and onions. do you think it is best to start with a raised bed. with netting i certainly have a lot of grass. in fact it was only seeded this year. we have very sandy soil, and the grass is slow to grow and have a crazy amount of weeds, thistles. i'm letting my husband worry about that as it takes about 4 hrs to mow lawn and thats his dept.
Can you advise what is good to seed at this time of year? many thanks for advice
asweeney

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just read how to start a veg garden posted by Sticky... all my failures to date have been explained. i could have done his advice a long time ago.
Foxylock
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give up. Look at all the experience you gained so far, next year you'll be up to your neck in fantastic home grown produce. Very Happy
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a sandy soil and poor drainage you will need to dig a trench and put in a pipe or stone drain to carry the water from the flat or level area to the lowest point. However thistles will not grow in poorly drained land so it must be mostly surface water that you have to deal with. Sandy soil is generally poor and needs plenty compost or manure not just as a food but to improve texture of the land.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
forest flame
Rank attained: Yew tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont give up. you will suceed and when you do you will gain the confidence to take the next leap of faith. we have all failed with things along the way but the little sucesses more than make up for the failures.
JennyS
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However thistles will not grow in poorly drained land

Depends on the species - Marsh Thistles http://www.irishwildflowers.ie/pages/166a.html
love damp, badly drained ground so your problem could be more than just surface water.

Whats the lie of your land like - is the ground level, sloping, getting run-off from higher ground above etc?
If there is higher ground draining onto your veg area a drain above would help.

asweeney

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much JennyS and Micheal for you input... So much to learn!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: