Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Yellow spot and holes in rose petals...help!

Most Recent Posts Swallows
Last post: baabamaal
Newzealand flat worm?
Last post: Slave77
Open Day. Garden at Coolwater.
Last post: kindredspirit
Cheap seed tricks
Last post: ormondsview

Coillte
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Yellow spot and holes in rose petals...help! Reply with quote

Hi there,

I planted a couple of rose bushes from Lidl and they seemed to be doing well but now the leaves are pretty well covered with yellow spots and holes, in the center of the leaves.

I read about black spot but this is yellow spot! Any ideas what it might be and how to treat it? I would be very grateful. I feel very sorry for the roses...first the lousy weather and now this Crying or Very sad

Please see attached image of this blight!

cheers coillte[/img]

my poor roses.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.26 KB
 Viewed:  2140 Time(s)

my poor roses.jpg

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picture not great but from the description and the weather we have been having it is rose rust and it will have a debilitating effect on the flowering next year. the rootstock has a big influence on it's occurrence (rosa laxa is the worst rootstock for the disease but all get it in a bad year. Rose clear should help and gather up and burn any diseased leaves.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Coillte

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

you're right, the picture quality is not great. So roses can rust too!!! Well, I never. Honestly! Thank you for telling me that. I thought it was some tropical version of black spot disease!

I'll pop down to the local Woodies and see if I can get some of that Rose Clear stuff. It's a pity about next years roses...I'll have to do some reading up on roses to avoid more pitfalls.

many thanks Michael,

coillte
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: