Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

My Poor Plums......... Wasps.

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Planet X
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: My Poor Plums......... Wasps. Reply with quote

Plums are taking a hammering from wasps. Burrowing into them and destroying them. Victoria plum trees, two, and fruit is ripening now.

Nothing I can do I reckon?
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you, my favourite of all plums.....I grew them in my last garden. And yes, wasps eat some, but if you pick them regularly, do you not get a fair amount of the harvest before it is damaged? The odd hole doesn't affect the taste of the plums....just check carefully that you don't bite into one while a wasp is in it though!
What does anyone else think? Would wasp traps be an idea here?
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppy one of our members once mentioned clear plastic bagging the plums on the tree to prevent wasp attack.
The plastic bag method mentioned in it is effective but hard to implement on a large scale.
Most forms of bagging will work, with some gardeners opt in to use old pairs of tights for the purpose.

Spraying is pointless as the wasps are coming from nests on your property or outside it.
If you wanted to and were able you could find the nests and destroy them.

I'll leave you with the wasp text from "THE BOOK OF PEARS AND PLUMS" by , Reverend Edward Bartrum , 1833-1905.
Much of the core info in it stands up even today but some of the phrasing and methods in it are too funny. Laughing

Quote:
Their nests often hold many thousands. Large numbers may be destroyed thus : place a hand-light upon bricks, make a small hole in the top of this, and over it put a sound and closely-fitting one. Fruit cut open should be
thrown beneath the lower light. The wasps often go up through the hole, and do not return. Their buzzing attracts others. Destroy by burning sulphur beneath, or by drowning.

A glass destroyer on a similar principle is sold in china-shops. Open-mouthed bottles filled with beer sweetened or water sweetened with treacle will lure many to destruction.

Queen wasps in spring and wasp- nests must be noticed and destroyed. Fasten a piece of cloth soaked in a solution of cyanide of potassium (a small
quantity dissolved in hot water), and put it in the nest; all the wasps will be killed. Dig out the grubs. This is a deadly poison, and should be handled only
by an expert. The emanation from the solution must not be breathed. Tar does almost as well.

A nest may be partly dug and flooded at night. A clean wine bottle (half-filled with water) inserted in the place of the nest (the top of the neck level with the surface of the ground) will probably capture all stragglers.

Some make a heap of injured fruit and syringe the wasps with nicotine soap, eight ounces to a gallon of hot or cold water. This plan kills quickly, but the fruit no longer attracts.

Squibs a half-inch in diameter, three inches long, made of gunpowder moistened with water, one-fourth of flowers of sulphur added, mixed into a paste, wrapped in brown paper, and tied at one end, are good for the work. After dark, light the squib, push the lighted end into the hole, put a sod over, and ram it in to confine the fumes. In a few minutes dig up and destroy the grubs, then fill up the hole. If the nest is high up, attach the squib to a stick,
light, and keep it close (while burning) to the entrance. Young gardeners enjoy this squibbing process.

If you are looking for a chemical free way to prevent wasps you may be able to source it here...... Decoy wasp nest

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!

Last edited by James Kilkelly on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to destroy the nest, but rather "schoo" them away, a colleague of mine doused a piece of cloth in petrol, and placed it by the entrance of the hive (very carefully)

Two days after being served their eviction notice, they were gone.

Me

Sive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across this waspinator product in a magazine.
This is totally chemical free, just drives off wasps by mimicking a real wasp's nest....which is seen as an "enemy nest".
Sounds very simple and seemingly effective, so have a look at this website....anyone who is troubled by or allergic to wasp stings.
michael brenock

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasps don't live in hives and they die out over the winter except for the queen.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Sive

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Protein just used the incorrect word, Michael.................I think the amazing papier-mache-style constructions that wasps make are called "nests" would I be right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: