Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Just New...or new age gardener??

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
aveeno2005
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Just New...or new age gardener?? Reply with quote

Hello,

As I'm new to the forum and to gardening, I thought I'd come in and introduce myself. My name is Diarmuid. I'm 44, and live in Dublin 9. I've recently developed a keen interest in all things horticultural. Like a lot of people, I was fed up with the crap that passes for fresh veg in our supermarkets. Everything's generic and completely tasteless. So I decided to grow my own. I bought a few books and checked a couple of websites. I dug up the back garden in April, put a lawn on one side and raised vegetable beds on the other. Planted cabbage, kale, spinach, lettuce, onions, carrots, parsnips, tomatoes and a variety of different herbs. Everything grew well, except a few cabbages (damn those caterpillars).

I have to say, my interest in gardening has been treated in some quarters with a measure of mirth. I've been told it's an old person's pastime. That most young people would sooner eat their own faeces than be seen planting a few veg. Though growing cannabis seems to be quite acceptable.

Is there a connection between gardening and aging. Is it a coincidence that at 44 I developed an interest? I admit, it bothers me. I mean, everything in our society is directed towards youth. Youth is everything. Rather than looking forward to being an elder, like we should, there seems to be a universal fear of ageing.

I hear it's worse in Alaska. Did you know that when Eskimos get to a certain age, their families close the igloo door on them. Just like that...slam! It usually happens during the winter months when food and fuel for the fire are at their scarcest. Not surprisingly, in Eskimo society there is an even greater terror of old age than in ours. At least here, old people get a free bus pass and their small, unpleasant dogs are allowed to defecate with impunity. In Alaska, as winter draws near, the Indian elderly act more and more sprightly in the desperate hope that this will enable them to make it through another year. Even when safely inside dozing by the fire, they can never fully relax. The emergence of a too-wet-sounding fart and they can find themselves lying face-down in the snow outside, surrounded by slobbering Polar Bears.

It's getting just as bad here, though getting shut out is still metaphorical rather than literal. The elderly are shut out from having fun: they're not allowed to have sex, be fashionable or into music. How often do you see pensioners snogging? And they have to develop new skills to survive. It's not so much a question of foraging for acorns or fighting Huskies for scraps like in the Arctic. They have to learn to tut loudly, purse their lips, disapprove, drink endless cups of tea and dress dowdily. They like it even less than we do, but their in a tight corner. What else is there for them to do?

I don't want to end up like that but I may be too late cos I've noticed the signs already. I get aggressive in bus queues if someone pushes in, I drink tea all the time, I appreciate a good quality biscuit (dunked) and like I said, I've taken an interest in gardening. I still have a full head of hair though, but it's getting a little grey in places. Luckily I haven't found any grey pubes yet. Apparently, this is more tragic for women than it is for men. This is the moment where the serious attempts to hold time at bay begin. Women can only have so many face-lifts before they end up with a beard (with gray in it). For men, the problem is hair loss and their ears getting bigger. You know it's all over when you measure your ear-lobes every week rather than your x and hope for a decrease rather than an increase. It's all so tragic but at least I still have my sense of humour. Though for how long is anyone's guess.

Anyway, I'd better shut up before I'm accused of going of topic. I look forward to posting my many gardening questions over the coming mouths and to reading your replies.

All the best,

Diarmuid.

PS. I posted a question about the lack of worms in my garden. The post is entitled 'Earth Worms' and it's in the relevant section...I think.
Sugar_Ape
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Diarmuid, you speak with a frankness that many are not blessed with (or supress because it's not conventional Rolling Eyes)

Quote:
I mean, everything in our society is directed towards youth. Youth is everything. Rather than looking forward to being an elder, like we should, there seems to be a universal fear of ageing.

Youth is overrated. People seem to have the mindset that once youth is gone your life is over. I never have believed that and never will. Young at heart as the song says Smile

Give yourself over to the dark side of gardening!
verge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Just New...or new age gardener?? Reply with quote

Welcome to IG, aveeno2005.
aveeno2005 wrote:
I have to say, my interest in gardening has been treated in some quarters with a measure of mirth. I've been told it's an old person's pastime.

Don't worry they'll all be here on IG and out in there gardens in a few years when they get sense.

Any chance of you posting a few pics of your raised veg beds to give us some Idea of your set up?

Smile
MargeSimpson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Diarmuid. I'm 32 and I also find people raise their eyebrows at having gardening as an interest.

I think that the likes of Diarmuid Gavan give the impression that Garden Design is for young gardeners that don't dare get their hands dirty and Gardening is for old foogies who have nothing better to do with their time.
Bugs
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely hilarious post Diarmuid , anyone who can bring into an introduction
Eskimos , dunking biscuits , growing veggies and face lifts in the same post will always get my attention Laughing Laughing 44 is a distant memory for me , Maybe we can get GPI to start a Grumpy Old Men section , anyway looking forward to some interesting posts from you
Cool Bugs

squire1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some introduction there Diarmuid. Poor eskimo's........and i was going to reture to the North Pole and all. Sad
Adamn Greathead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Stereotyped Reply with quote

Hello Diarmuid
Welcome to IG i only joined about a week ago. I am only 16 yet i sell my own plants and hanging baskets and i have a regular gardening round and design and maintain peoples gardens. On the contrary, i feel that the elderly have a plethora of facts which, by any means, are helpful. I attend my local gardeners guild and, no surprise that, it is full of elderly people however i have made such great friends there and obtained a large amount of work. It may seem sad to the majority of my generation that on a monday evening i will be hiding backstage meticulously tending my entries to the shows alongside a dozen or so other gardeners more than triple my age. Therefore it becomes intrapersonal and, within me, a passion lies for gardening. And my mates can laugh, mock tease all they like but to do something you adore and have something to live for, life becomes so much more worthwhile.
crosseyedsheep

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Youth is wasted on the young"

George Bernard Shaw

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: