Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

Some more trees (Elms?) need identifying please

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
cuchulain
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Some more trees (Elms?) need identifying please Reply with quote

I think the first 4 pics are Elms but perhaps somebody could confirm. If they are Elm, then is it gauranteed that they will die off? Before I bought the site the farmer said that there were loads of Elms that had died off nearby.

Is the last pic an Elder shrub? I want to fill in that ditch so could I sow the Elderberries (from a more mature Elder) in a few weeks?

ligola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,Cuchulain!Last one is not elder.If you want propogate elder,why don't try with cuttings?Its much easyer and faster.My summer cuttings now is abaut 30 cm hight.If you gone grow from seeds,you have to weit much longer,untill they grow so big and ,can fill dicht.
frengers80
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: re elm Reply with quote

hi reckon they are elm,going by the ones i have.my ones average about 20 ft high,although i have one stunning 35/40ft one.I have had a couple of them die but not by dutch elm disease,my local tree surgeon recons the diesease was spread by a beetle who numbers dwindled when the trees died and its not known if and when they might spead the disease again.There are resistant varieties now availeable if you want to plant new stock.all the best
Garlicbreath
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Dutch Elm disease, my understanging is that it doesn't attack until the tree is fairly mature and the bark has roughened. One suggestion I heard is to coppice Elm which has the effect of keeping it eternally young! (wish I could coppice myself Wink )
Silver surfer
Rank attained: Native hedgerow keeper

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bored with a wet morning I have been having a look at old id posts.
So apologies for posting on an old thread!

I am very sorry but the last pic is definitely not an elder. ( Sambucus nigra) as this has pinnate leaves. ie on one stalk there are several leaflets. See.....

http://www.johnsonscreek.co.uk/Sambucusnigra-leaf-26-08-04.jpg

The pic above shows one pinnate leaf.
-------------------------------------------------------------

To id an elm...
Have a look at this link ( scroll down) it shows how an excellent pic of a single leaf. At the stalk end of an elm leaf , one side is always higher than the other.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.irishwildflowers.ie/images/trees/t-32a1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.irishwildflowers.ie/pages-trees/t-32.html&usg=__LQG2Kq63p2cYyxct8vIFZppYtuY=&h=306&w=306&sz=21&hl=en&start=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=gOP9sTKKG1pVgM:&tbnh=117&tbnw=117&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dulmus%2Bprocera%2Bleaf%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26rls%3Dp,com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7SUNA_en-GB%26ndsp%3D20%26tbs%3Disch:1

You may be interested to know that some old elms did not die from Dutch elm disease. From these have been grown saplings. They are experimenting and sending these young trees round Britain.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/News/Elms-return-to-British-countryside
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: