Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs

How do i grow Ivy up my balcony wall

Most Recent Posts Heritage Bill.
Last post: Sue Deacon
weeping willow tree
i THOUGHT A GHOST HAD TURNED UP
Free Carbons
Last post: Ado 2

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Niamho
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: How do i grow Ivy up my balcony wall Reply with quote

Hi there,
I am after buying a Goldheart variegated Ivy plant to grow up my balcony wall. The thing is, I don't know how! The ivy came in a small enough pot and wrapped around a bamboo stick. I bought it about a month ago and positioned it next to the wall I want it to grow up, to help it get used to its surroundings (I am VERY new to gardening!). So what do I do next? I would like to repot it as the pot is a little rubbish looking. Do I take the bamboo support away or leave it? Do I feed it? So many questions, any answers?
Thanks,
N
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How do i grow Ivy up my balcony wall Reply with quote

Niamho wrote:
I would like to repot it as the pot is a little rubbish looking.

Give it as big a new container as you can afford and your balcony will take. The plants growth will relate to the area it has to spread its roots out into. Small pot = small growth.

Niamho wrote:
Do I take the bamboo support away or leave it?

The bamboo support is put there by the garden centre to keep the plant safe and make it look as big as possible for the buyer. An ivy is a self clinging plant so will require light but constant pressure against the object it is to climb on. So I would buy a few more bamboos sticks and use them to pressure the ivy to the wall. Bamboo in front, ivy behind, then wall behind both.

Niamho wrote:
Do I feed it?

Use a quality shrub potting compost when repotting, that should see you good for a while.

Gardening Ireland, one plant at a time.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the wall is freshly painted the Ivy may refuse to cling on for a while (1-2 yrs). Always try and cover the lower part of the wall first by training the first shoots horizontally. Over the years remove at source any shoot that is plain green and not coloured as this will grow faster and become dominant and less attractive.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Niamho

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies Blackbird and Michael. Sorry I'm being a bit dim, but should I remove the bamboo stick that it is wrapped around at the moment after planting and then try to encourage it up the wall?

Thanks
N
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes remove the bamboo cane before or after planting.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Climbers and creepers in Ireland, including wall shrubs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: