Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

beech tree trouble

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
canwalsh
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: beech tree trouble Reply with quote

Beech tree trouble
My beech has been planted here for about six years and is about 24 feet tall. all was well until last summer when the leaves began to curl up and turn a rusty colour. this year it looks completely dead. a few leaves came and then died.we were advised to put a tree nutrient and some potash around it last fall but that did not help. i now notice something similar happening to another beech and also a copper beech that was planted this year. can anyone help???
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from your description it sounds like a serious root disease, possibly honey fungus or boot lace fungus. prior to planting your beech trees was there any old tree growing there that that had died or had toadstools growing around there? Putting on potash would not have helped but neither was it the cause of the problem. Check for any damage on the stem for damage by strimmer or lawnmower. unlikely to be caused by foliar disease or pest. I think that the problem is probably in the soil.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
canwalsh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="michael brenock"]from your description it sounds like a serious root disease, possibly honey fungus or boot lace fungus. prior to planting your beech trees was there any old tree growing there that that had died or had toadstools growing around there? Putting on potash would not have helped but neither was it the cause of the problem. Check for any damage on the stem for damage by strimmer or lawnmower. unlikely to be caused by foliar disease or pest. I think that the problem is probably in the soil.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)[/quote]

Thank you Michael. There were no trees growing there at all. No damage either. I think you are right about the soil since a similar thing is happening with the other two trees. What do you think can be done if anything?
michael brenock

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a last resort dig up portion of the root and examine near the growing tip for any damage. healthy roots should be white and moist. Diseased roots will be black or dry maybe disintegrating with some fungus mycelium (small thread like growths). To say that the problem is in the soil is an over simplification. The problem in the soil might be poor drainage, impervious soil or rock. The lack of nutrients seldom causes trees to die but will cause slow stunted growth. What else is growing near the trees and what was applied to the ground?
canwalsh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oak, birch on either side and a variegated maple opposite all within about 14 feet. will dig up roots to check. Thank you. Talk later.
osg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, I have a similar problem with a Laurel tree. It was in a pot outside my front door for 10 or 11 months (easterly facing with an open canopy, sun all morning until about 12pm) until July when I planted it in the garden.
After Christmas and during the spring this year the leaves began to turn a rusty colour and it looked like it was dying. I asked my local garden centre, where I bought it, what could I do and I was advised that this had happened to all Laurel trees this year and that it would recover as it is a hardy tree.
Since I have planted it I have noticed some new green leaves but not alot.

So after all that Very Happy here are my questions :
Is it dead or dying and am I wasting my time on it? Crying or Very sad
Will it recover as my friendly garden centre person advised? Surprised
What can I do to aid recovery? Confused
I have noticed some branches which are black and withered so I presume these are dead, do I need to trim them off to aid recovery Question

Thanks in advance.
michael brenock

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re laurel in a container I would suggest that it was either left without water for a ehile or is pot bound. if there is sign of new shoots then there is hope. Even at this late stage it is worthwhile repotting into a larger pot with fresh soil and least disturbance to roots. Give no fertilisers just allow the roots to come on to the fresh compost or soil. if the plant was not pot bound then lack of water at some stage was the cause. An evergreen woody plant will take a longer time to show symptoms than a deciduous tree. And while it is slower to show distress symptoms it will also be slower to show signs of recovery. Check the roots while it is out of pot for any pest like vine weevil.
osg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, thanks but what do you mean by "pot bound"? Do you mean it out grew the pot it was in?

I have planted it in the garden at this stage with fresh compost with some cow dug underneath a layer of soil so are you suggesting to re pot it in a larger pot than the original or should I leave it in the ground for now to see if it recovers?

There are small shoots growing from the base of the tree so all doesn't seem lost Exclamation as regards the branches which are black and withered I presume these are dead, do I need to trim them off to aid recovery?
michael brenock

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pot bound means it out grew the pot size. if you have it planted out it poses the possibility that it might have been moved at the wrong time or the roots damaged. After planting a tree should be staked so as to prevent rocking around by the wind. Sorry that I misread your message. Give it another chance but it sounds hopeful when young shoots are sprouting out.
michael brenock Horticultural advisor (retired)
osg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help Michael, much appreciated by a novice.

BTW I think there were a few new greens leaves on the tree this morning, fingers crossed. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: