Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Storing Potatoes

Most Recent Posts New use for old tyres
Last post: tagwex
Quiet times
Last post: Good guy
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Creamy Roasted Garlic and Mushroom Soup
Last post: Sue Deacon

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
treascon09
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Storing Potatoes Reply with quote

Hi everyone, This is my first post so hope i get it right.
Anyway this is my first year to sow a garden since i was a child and im absolutely amazed how the weeds can grow so fast.... I sowed about 15 rows of potatoes 15m long, different varieties and so far have been eating the early british queens. The rest of the rows are a mess now with weeds! They totally got ahead of me. (see pic)
Im thinking of just cutting off the stalks and digging them all up but im wondering whats the best way to store them. Or is this the right thing to do? Also i think a few stalkes got blight, ( must have missed them with the spray. burgandy mix). Basically im lookin for any help or advise i can get!!

16082009030.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.22 KB
 Viewed:  6689 Time(s)

16082009030.jpg

16082009031.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.8 KB
 Viewed:  6688 Time(s)

16082009031.jpg

stoneygardens

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: help Reply with quote

hi
stick with it
My grandad used to keep spuds in straw or sand to keep them over the winter havent tried it yet. Dig em up and store them in a childs sand pit with the play sand so its not wet or with straw works the same keeps them warm not cold! If they become cold they will shoot because they think winter is over and try to germinate I Think......... and dark no light !!!!!!!
Just try halp the size next time the weeding isnt so bad then invest in a hoe makes it easier
Hope this helps
your plot looks impressive but keep it managable bud
Happy Gardening
Stoney
Very Happy
treascon09

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Stoney.

I have heard that you can dig a pit in the ground and store spuds in straw but im wondering how deep and do you need to place spuds in layers or just load them all in and cover with straw. Also how do you stop the rain penetrating the pit. If you cover with plastic will spuds sweat and rot??? SO many what if's??? Maybe someone out there has first hand experience...
verge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treascon09 wrote:

I have heard that you can dig a pit in the ground and store spuds in straw

Oh I'd be more inclined to keep them above ground in boxes or clamps or heaps. Read what one of our members Liparis has to say about potato storage here click Storing potatoes.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
treascon09

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Verge,
Am I right to assume that its the same process for keepin spuds your goin to eat later on. Just store in peat or sand and then take them out as you need them??
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some potatoes are good keepers, others are not. it is a bit early to store potatoes and potatoes should be fully mature before storing (allow skin to become tough and not easily rubbed off). Never store a damaged or diseased potato. never wash potatoes before storing. Potatoes will bring certain soil borne diseases with them into the store. A pit made at or slightly below ground level is suitable for storing potatoes. Pile the potatoes up in a triangular shape and cover with straw before covering with a layer of 3-4 inches of soil. High temperatures will encourage sprouting while cold wet conditions will favour the development of rotting diseases. Potatoes that are affected by blight or slugs will continue to deteriorate in the ground but the skin will be more mature. Cut your losses maybe, dig now use as soon as possible and only store those that are really sound and of a good size.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: