Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

spots on hollyhock

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: corkgardener
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Joanna
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: spots on hollyhock Reply with quote

Hi to all!

I have problem with my hollyhock. I think it could be fungi but not sure how to treat it.
Here is a picture of leaves.

Please advise if you know how to rescue my lovely hollyhock

thank you
Joanna
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fungi alright......... hollyhock rust.
It shouldn't be fatal though.

Firstly cut off all the leaves affected and burn them.
Regularly rake around the plant, collecting fallen leaves, then burning them. This is especially important in autumn as it will help prevent the disease overwintering.

As regards sprays the following three can help........
A fungicide containing the active ingredient myclobutanil such as Bayer Garden Systhane Fungus Fighter.
A fungicide containing the systemic active ingredient penconazole such as Scotts Fungus Clear
A fungicide containing the protectant active ingredient mancozeb such as Bio Dithane 945.
Selecting two different products/active ingredients and alternating between one or the other on each spraying will reduce the chances of resistance to just one building up.

Be aware though that fungicides are for the most part are preventative and have very little effect once the fungus has taken hold.

In autumn dig in lots of organic matter around the plant. Occasionally digging in a banana peel around each bushes is a good way to apply a trickle of slow release potash to each plant. Slow potash and good feeding can help a plant can resist fungal attacks much better than a hungry specimen which will let anything overtake it.

Apply a layer of mulch to the base of your hollyhock plant each spring to help prevent previously fallen fungal spores being splashed on to leaves by rain. If that mulch is well rotted farm-yard manure rather than bark mulch, then you will be feeding the plants as well.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: