Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Is this Blight on my Sarpo Mira spuds?

Most Recent Posts Quiet times
Last post: Sue Deacon
woodland trust quizz.
Warning of Stormy Weather, Ireland, 11/3/08 to 12/3/08.
Garden Bird Survey.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
berginhart
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Is this Blight on my Sarpo Mira spuds? Reply with quote

Hello, I planted Sarpo Mira spuds on 29th March and up to now they have been healthy when others in the allotment have been decimated by blight. Last week I noticed brown spots
I dug one plant and the spuds are fine and healthy.
    Is this blight?

Is it too early to cut the tops?

I also planted Sarpo Axona at the end of April and they are in flower and showing no signs of disease at all.

Thanks
Mike
Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sarpos are exactly the same. My own seed (Axona) is perfect - no sign of blight, and seed I got from a neighbour (Mira) is just the same as yours. Funny enough, his spuds (from the same seed batch) are clean! I think it is blight, but the stalks are not succumbing to it (so far anyway) - they seem to be growing away in spite of it. I'm going to let them alone and see what happens. Incidentally, I'm eating them now (both Mira and Axona) and they're superb!
listen2maxkeiser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
i have mira in and their more blighty looking than those but i have eating my way thru 18 plants over last 3 weeks and would say i have had no more than a hand full of throw aways. everyone else has had really bad wire worm, slug and blight damage (even the sprayers) but mine have just stopped flowering,old growth seems to be holding blight back no problem and newer growth totally unblemished. a neighbour has axiona in, its still flowering and looks as blighty as yours. this is my first year growing sarpos and i am delighted with them. i am going to try saving little ones (which theres not many of. they are mostly big size) for seed for next year and get some axiona aswell.
all this and they taste great. how you find yours?
come on the blight , lets have ya!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: