Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Time for garlic?

Most Recent Posts What is this plant guys
Last post: Bill2015
Anyone know what this is called
Last post: Black&Amber
re potato spraying
Last post: tagwex
Broad bean question.
Last post: mange tout

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Danny
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Time for garlic? Reply with quote

Just wondering what are the best varieties of garlic for growing in Ireland West and where could I get them? I like the organic garlic in Tesco - could this work? I think it's "softneck".
Where should I look around Mayo for more garlic bulbs?

Thanks!
Oh yea, am I too early yet?
Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started off my garlic growing a few years ago with cheap Chinese garlic from Lidl's. I've been saving my own and replanting ever since, and it 's been very good. Two years ago, I tried some proper "planting" garlic from Mr Middleton; it wasn't nearly as successful as the Lidl's stuff, so now I just stick to that. As to if you're early.... I start mine off in modules in October, and plant them out in November, which works very well for me; but planting them now might work - I don't know, as I haven't tried it. It might be worth a try - if you do, I'd be interested to hear how you get on. In fact, come to think of it, I might try a few cloves now myself!
Garlicbreath
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought garlic from Marshall's for the last couple of years and it's been very successful. They have a lot of different varieties and send them out as the time to plant them approaches. I usually plant in November in raised beds and generally harvest in July although I have a later variety (Lautrec Wight) still in the ground now . In my experience the softnecks grow bigger than the hardnecks and they keep better.
Danny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys! I've pulled all my onions and peas so I've loads of space now!
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned something from an old gardener (he was born in 1884) about garlic. Always grow garlic that is native to Holland, Denmark or Germany but not from Italy as their climate is much warmer than ours. Carry the garlic around in your pocket for a few weeks before planting it in the Spring.
garlic was reputed to be good for either Rheumatism or Arthritis. He said it should grow well after that and not bolt. I hate the smell of garlic and having tried it once it grew but all bolted. The garlic available in supermarkets does not always grow and maybe has been treated by heat or chemicals to prevent sprouting.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously not lidls,just went to get some out of my veggie box to put in the chickens water and the garlic has sprouted,so as not to waste them after using a couple of cloves i looked on here to see if i could plant them,having never grown garlic i wondered how to do it?just cover with soil?i was once told to lay onions on the top of the soil so is it the same for garlic?
Garlicbreath

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just push them 2 - 3 inches into the soil. Works for me! Just as a matter of interest Sal, why do you put garlic in the chickens' water?
sal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Herbs such as nettle, fenugreek and garlic help to promote weight gain, circulation and guard against infection.
sineadfoxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tips about the garlic, was just wondering when and how to plant it! and Sal, great tip re the chickens (just waiting on my run to be finished before we get a few and ducks)
Sorry to have to ask but if it's planted in October or November when do u harvest it?
Garlicbreath

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sal wrote:
-Herbs such as nettle, fenugreek and garlic help to promote weight gain, circulation and guard against infection.

I didn't know that! I hope they don't have the same effect on me (promote weight gain) Laughing Laughing

Sineadfoxy, I usually harvest Autumn sown garlic in July and August
sineadfoxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Garlic Reply with quote

Thanks Garlicbreath! I'll have to give it a go, I love garlic!
sal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me neither garlic breath!but as i have just started keeping chickens(2 months now)i`m taking in all the info i can and this comes up in all the poultry forums i have gone into,i love my chickens and they are laying 2-3 eggs a day now,from the 3 oldest pullets,there are 4 more younger ones to get started,so will be giving or trading eggs with my neighbours, but they never will end up on anyones plate when they stop laying,we have named them!
kinvarasustainableliving

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Growing garlic Reply with quote

When you buy supermarket garlic you don't know if your getting soft neck or hard neck -which will bolt. Soft necks plait up nicely. I grew supermarket garlic with great success until last year when I got very bad rust. So I bought in fresh from Mr. Middleton and grew it amongst the currants in the fruit garden to stay away from the rust and it grew very well. No need for modules, straight in the ground in October or November, a frosting helps it bulb up, and I cover it thickly with seaweed. This keeps weeds at bay for most of winter. Once you buy garlic, keep seed, as in set a few of your best bulbs aside for planting, you'll never be without. One raised bed , average size, will produce enough garlic for a bulb a week and seed. It's great to grow. It's one veg you can be totally self-sufficient in.
Garlicbreath

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem being that as your harvest grows so does your appetite for the stuff Sad Laughing Sad
sal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thanks for the seaweed tip,i`m not far from the beach,about 16 miles,so a trip to the beach for the kids,a black plastic bag each and 2 euro for every bag they fill,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: