Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening.

Do honey bees live naturally in ireland?

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
evoke
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Do honey bees live naturally in ireland? Reply with quote

Do honey bees live in the wild in ireland? i have seen some around. I have never heard of anyone keeping honey bees around my area. i took a picture of one just to make sure it was a honey bee.

It would be then good if you could transfer them from their hive to your man made hive.

bee.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.16 KB
 Viewed:  7181 Time(s)

bee.JPG

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the picture that you show is the wild honey bee not the same species as the domestic honey bee which can exist in the wild unaided by man.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
evoke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply michael. Do you know any good and efficent way of tracking down the hive. i will love to have a look at it.

I wonder if you if you put a bee hive beside the nest. When the colony is expanding they would use that beehive as a home.
Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm.....the insect in your picture is not a honey-bee; I can't be certain from the photo, but I think it's either one of the Bombus species (bumble bees) or an Anthophora (flower bee). It's definitely not a honey-bee. In answer to your question, though, the Honey Bee does occur wild in Ireland, and it is exactly the same bee as the "domestic" Honey Bee - no difference whatsoever. If you can find a nest of wild Honey Bees, it is possible to transfer them to a hive, and they can be every bit as good as any other Honey Bees. It can be a difficult job, though, and definitely not to be attempted without the aid of an experienced beekeeper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Wildlife, Irish Wild flowers and nature gardening. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: