Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc).

Greenhouse on Exposed Windy Site

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
TMcD
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Greenhouse on Exposed Windy Site Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I am thinking of buying a greenhouse, but our 1/2 acre site is quite exposed and I am a wee bit scared of wind damage!!! I am looking for suggestions of how to provide some wind breaks/shelter. Do I go down the fencing route or would a few well placed shrubs/trees do the trick?

The back garden is south facing, with a line of trees, very mature (and tall!) down the right hand side, which cause alot of shading, particularly in the evening as the sun is setting. So, I am proposing to situate the greenhouse on the left side, approx 15ft behind our garage. There is an evergreen hedge, approx 4-5 ft high, that runs the length of the garden down the left side. There are also a couple of young fruit trees and a 5 year old(ish) white beam. If I were to position the greenhouse between them, there would be approx 10 ft spacing from the greenhouse to each tree.
I think the prevailing wind runs from right to left or west to east across our garden.

I would really appreciate any suggestions on how to protect the greenhouse from the West of Ireland winds as much as humanly possible Wink ? Thanks a million.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all i would recommend an aluminium or steel frame.The prevailing wind is South West. There must be a compromise between shelter and shading you cannot have both. Mid ways between both hedges is the best option, a free standing house should run North South and a lean to run East West. Temporary shelter of wood metal or plastic will serve the purpose until trees or shrubs have attained the height. For every foot in height a shelter belt is gives ten times that amount in shelter along the leeward side. A lean-to holds the heat better.
michael brenock Horticultural advisor (Retired)
TMcD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael - I appreciate the help, particularly the info regarding the ratio of height to shelter. Wish me luck Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irelands Garden tools / equipment. (mowers, glasshouses & polytunnels etc). All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: