Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden jobs wanted / Training periods required.

Organic Apple Orchards

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Rach
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Organic Apple Orchards Reply with quote

Hi there,

Does anybody know of any Organic Apple Orchards in Ireland,
North or South?
Prefereably run on a commercial basis, but those attached to old houses, state/national trust properties would also do.

I'm looking for somewhere to do a two week work placement in October.

Thanks,

Rach
kinvarasustainableliving

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,
I help run a community garden that has planted up a walled in garden with 50 apple trees 4 years ago, there is also 20 other fruit trees and 6 original trees from 1870. I don't know what your interested in exactly, October is too early to prune, and most of the harvesting will be done by then, so the work would be weeding, strimming, some posts need re planting, and labels moved. The apples are all old Irish seed savers varieties, clearly labeled. etc. Have a look at the garden page on the website. This community garden could definitely do with a help out with the trees. It's on the site of a Youth Hostel, we could come to a deal re accommodation with the manager. Have you much orchard experience?

Rach

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Re. Orchards Reply with quote

Thanks a million for getting back.

I'm a student on the Organic Horticulture course at the Organic centre in Leitrim.
As you said October is not great for the apples but it's the dates that have been assigned to us.
I've now got a placement for October with the National Trust in Fermanagh but I'd love to come over and work in your gorgeous Orchard, maybe in February. There would be more to do then and our course finishes in January.

As part of my apple project i get to look after 4 trees for the year (one of them seemed to get everything that was going, including some bad canker Sad ).

On the course we've done summer & winter pruning, grafting - whip & tongue, chip bud, T-budding and general care and maintenance of the trees. I've also spent time maintaining the trees in Baldonnel Orchard in Dublin over the past few years.

Maybe I could contact you directly re. working with your apples.
Please contact by private message.

Also

If anyone else knows of some organically managed fruit orchards Apples/Plums/Pears etc., I'm always very grateful for any information.
Perhaps there's an old Orchard that needs restoring.
I can usually manage to drum up a few willing volunteers to help out.

Thanks again,

Rach

Moderator edit: For safety the posting of email address is not advised.
Daithic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to start a new thread so I hopped on to this one to ask the question: Are there orchards in and around Dublin that you can go to to buy a couple of crates of apples?

I was also wondering about the Baldonnel orchards - it used to be the case you could go there and pay to pick your own fruit - does anybody know if this is still going on?

I had the idea to make some apple juice and cider and my apple trees are still to young to bear much fruit so thought I'd buy this year to get the equipment and my own experience started so next year I can use a combination of my own fruit and orchard bought.

polly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also love to buy a few crates of organic apples around Cork or Kerry arrea! Thanks
Rach

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Pick your own apples Reply with quote

Hi there,

Sorry I'm only reading these messages now, don't have handy internet access.

You can still pick your own apples at Baldonnel, just call in (even when the gate is closed).

The apples are available from late August to November.
They don't use sprays or anything nasty.

Unfortunately South Dublin County Council put a compulsory purchase order on a lot of the orchard to make the Grange golf course.
So they ripped out a lot of the trees and have done some 'maintenance' on some of the trees with chainsaws and strimmers.
Removed shelter belts etc.

It made me cry when I saw what they had done to those lovely old apple trees. Crying or Very sad

But there is still lots of trees that are hanging on in there (if the council don't get their way!)

Best of luck,

Rach
Daithic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Pick your own apples Reply with quote

Rach wrote:
Hi there,

Sorry I'm only reading these messages now, don't have handy internet access.

You can still pick your own apples at Baldonnel, just call in (even when the gate is closed).

The apples are available from late August to November.
They don't use sprays or anything nasty.

Unfortunately South Dublin County Council put a compulsory purchase order on a lot of the orchard to make the Grange golf course.
So they ripped out a lot of the trees and have done some 'maintenance' on some of the trees with chainsaws and strimmers.
Removed shelter belts etc.

It made me cry when I saw what they had done to those lovely old apple trees. Crying or Very sad

But there is still lots of trees that are hanging on in there (if the council don't get their way!)

Best of luck,

Rach

Thanks for that! I paid a visit to the the Apple Farm in Cahir - lovely set up and plan to check out David Llewellyn's orchard sometime this year. Its good to know that there are still some apple trees hanging in there in Baldonnel - I may check out this later in the year.

blue-jay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I saw a few of you mention that there is a place to go apple picking in baldonnel orchard? I'm really interested in going, but I can't find information about it anywhere on the Internet! If anyone could help me out I'd be very grateful! If you can give me directions, a number, or just post a link that would be fab!

Thanks a mill!

Kel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden jobs wanted / Training periods required. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: