Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Mowing grass for first time.

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
squire1
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Mowing grass for first time. Reply with quote

Hi Ladies and gents. Grass seed is down about five weeks now and is thriving. Height ranges from 3" to 5". It's time for the first cut...but wait...it's lashing rain out there and the ground has loosened up.

Here's the predicament...do I cut the grass the next time the rain stops or do I wait to let the ground dry out a bit for fear of upsetting delicate roots. Will it do any harm to allow the grass to grow a bit more before I cut it. Wheather prediction is for wet weather up to and including the weekend, in this type of weather the grass could grow a couple of inches in a week Shocked

What's the concencus?
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire1, what are you cutting with?
Ride-on or pedestrian mower?
squire1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GPI, I was going to do it with a ride on with a wide thread tyre but after reading your a sticky the other day I'm going to use a pedestrian mower for the first few cuts.
squire1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your sticky, I mean, not your're a sticky Embarassed
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: No YOU are a sticky. Reply with quote

[quote="squire1"]Hi GPI, I was going to do it with a ride on with a wide thread tyre but after reading your a sticky the other day I'm going to use a pedestrian mower for the first few cuts.[/quote]

"You haf learned well, grasshopper" Laughing (showing my age there quoting the old kung fu tv series).

Back on topic...
Hmmm. .... When to cut the grass for the first time?
Its a bit of a catch 22 situation.

Allowing grass to grow long before the first cut can cause stringy plants with poor roots which are easily ripped up by a blunt rotary mower or turning wheels.

However, carrying out a first cut on soggy soil can cause rutting of the soil and disturbance of grass roots + compaction.

All in all I would say that waiting for a dry spell and dry soil is the lesser of two evils.

Last edited by James Kilkelly on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
squire1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, should have done it at the weekend but i was greedy and decided to leave it for a few more days.

I'd say at the moment if I walked on it to cut it, most of it would end up on the bottom of my boots Sad

It'll probably dry out quick enough when the rain stops. I'll check out the weather report above and have myself primed to go.
Bugs
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you cut this weekend 4 to 5 inches is long . its normaly usual to leave the first cut on on the grass to rot down , BUT if the grass is is very long it should be collected as the cuttings may rot the new grass .

Laughing Many years ago I sowed a new lawn for a customer and told him to leave the first cut on the lawn , which he did Rolling Eyes he cut the grass from the outside in and left it in a nice long heap 6 inches deep in the centre of the garden.
It killed all the grass in a 3 ft. strip down the middle
Cool Bugs

squire1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut it on Thursday evening. I was expecting rian on Friday so it was dark by the time I got it finished. Neighbours must have thought I was barmey Very Happy

Anyway, it worked out well, I had the blades up at the highest level so that it just tipped most of the grass. Even over the weekend i could see how this has "thickened" the grass. It will probably need a cut like that twice a week now for a couple of weeks.

I'm glad i didn't use the ride on as some spots on the lawn were very soft (after the heavy rain) and damage would have been done.
squire1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

Laughing Many years ago I sowed a new lawn for a customer and told him to leave the first cut on the lawn , which he did Rolling Eyes he cut the grass from the outside in and left it in a nice long heap 6 inches deep in the centre of the garden.
It killed all the grass in a 3 ft. strip down the middle
Cool Bugs

Very Happy Bugs, I guess you have learned to be careful how you phrase things over the years. Some people listen with their brain switched off. Very Happy
Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire1 wrote:

Very Happy Bugs, I guess you have learned to be careful how you phrase things over the years. Some people listen with their brain switched off. Very Happy

too true I recently did a job for someone for 50 euros , between us there were 17 phone calls , it cost me 7.60 euro on mobiles Rolling Eyes
glad to hear you got the grass cut , there is a lot of growth at the moment so keep an eye on the lawn
Cool Bugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: