Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Doomed Spuds -3rd and final part!!

Most Recent Posts Beech Head leaf browning issue
Last post: SeanOChuinn
Is this Spiraea japonica
Last post: Keeks
Small lawn advice please
Last post: Greengage
Whats this.
Last post: Silver surfer

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
f&vlady
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Doomed Spuds -3rd and final part!! Reply with quote

Hi all, I've been nursing my spuds like babies, mulching and watering like a madwoman, checking every day with heart in mouth for signs of blight, wishing the time along until I could see end result (have I really got spuds under that earth?) Well curiousity got the better of me this afternoon and YES!! I have spuds, lovely, beautiful, blemish free spuds, it was like winning the Lotto and a Harry and Sally moment all rolled into one!! (not sure what next door thought of my little victory dance tho). Dinner was roast chicken, my own carrotts, my own spuds plus my own herbs in stuffing and oh how good it felt eating it this evening, This is probably old hat to all you seasoned gardeners but to a first time spud grower like me it's wonderful and felt I had to share my delight. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Her Outdoors
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done - there is nothing quite like eating what you have grown, and especially the first spuds! There will be no stopping you now!
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done ! I don't know if the magic of eating your very own vegetables ever really dies, however often you dig up potatoes or open a pod of peas, it is still a wonderful feeling ! And you described it just perfectly.
f&vlady

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks guys for the "well dones" and yes Her Outdoors there will be no stopping me now, not sure hubby approves tho lol, more digging for him!! still he didn't mind eating them last night while listening to plans for Christmas spuds! thanks again for kind replies.
Fiachra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done,
I also had that nervous wait for my first spuds this year. I gave a few weeks worrying about blight - it must be an Irish famine thing. I felt like I was digging up gold when I eventually started digging!! where are you getting the seed potatoes for christmas spuds? Can you grow them without a tunnell?
f&vlady

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fiachra, I read the post by GPI (How to grow potatoes for Christmas) and being flushed with my recent success am going to give it a try, going to use some of my own but also going to try Carlingford ones if they're available at Mr. Middleton in Dublin, going to use bags and keep in polyhouse and fingers crossed, check out GPI's post for better information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: