Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices

Organic rubbish after summer season

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
MargeSimpson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Organic rubbish after summer season Reply with quote

I was wondering what people do with all their organic rubbish after the summer season? I will have alot of 'stuff' to get rid of for example sunflowers, annuals, etc.
I need to make room for Spring bulbs. I don't have a composter but I think I would have too much green to put in it anyway! Any suggestions? Txs.
Bugs
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Organic rubbish after summer season Reply with quote

MargeSimpson wrote:
I was wondering what people do with all their organic rubbish after the summer season? I will have alot of 'stuff' to get rid of for example sunflowers, annuals, etc.
I need to make room for Spring bulbs. I don't have a compost-er but I think I would have too much green to put in it anyway! Any suggestions? Txs.

Rolling Eyes Laughing marge I'm shocked " all that organic rubbish " If every year you get rid of it , theoretically you will have no soil left . What size garden do you have , is there not a quiet corner you can make a compost heap . I will in the next few days take some pics for a step by step way to build a compost heap
Watch this space . It may not be pretty but it will work Laughing
Cool Bugs

MargeSimpson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess 'organic rubbish' was a bit harsh. But I was just looking out at my sunflowers and I was thinking that there was alot of plant to cut down. I was considering a compost heap but like I said above, there would be alot of green and very little brown to throw in. Not much kitchen waste either. I look forward to your stepbystep guide to building a compost heap. God knows I can't afford to loose any soil!!
verge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Organic rubbish after summer season Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
I will in the next few days take some pics for a step by step way to build a compost heap
Watch this space .
Cool Bugs

Looking forward to seeing that bugs.
I know many people who will dig a big hole in their gardens beds just to bury their spent summer bedding etc.
MargeSimpson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Organic rubbish after summer season Reply with quote

verge wrote:

I know many people who will dig a big hole in their gardens beds just to bury their spent summer bedding etc.

That's what people do? Now I know the hidden truth! Smile
Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to have the pics of the heap up tomorrow . Laughing Laughing Maybe I should have compost webcam and everyone can watch its progress Laughing Laughing
Cool Bugs

crosseyedsheep

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margesimpson said:
Quote:
I was considering a compost heap but like I said above, there would be alot of green and very little brown to throw in.

That's easily enough rectified, all you need to do is add some torn up/shredded paper and cardboard, that'll sort out the lack of brown. Anyway even without the browns the green material will still compost, it will just take longer without the correct brown green ratio.
MargeSimpson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Txs crosseyedsheep. I thought the ratio of brown/green had to be maintained to produce compost. I have a big pile of annuals, etc just left - I hope they don't start to smell.
medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone ever built a small (and i mean small) compost heap?
i've a tiny garden, and live on my own, so i've very little by way of garden cuttings and organic kitchen waste to dispose of; what i throw out would probably take up a cubic foot or so.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never built a compost heap as small as that, medieval knievel.
The main problems with small compost heaps is they find it hard to heat up enough to aid the break down of the waste.
Thats why the plastic cone type compost units are always touted as the ideal way for people to carry out small composting.
The plastic is meant to retain the heat and speed up the break down.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
fuinnseog
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Medieval Knievel
What about a wormery instead? I've heard they're much more efficient for small gardens and you can buy quite small wormery units. Although the council has now brought in brown bins in a lots of areas so at least you don't have to feel guilty about throwing away organic matter Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Organic gardening in Ireland / Alternative and Sustainable Gardening practices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: