Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

How far on should sarpo be?

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
gerwil
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: How far on should sarpo be? Reply with quote

I know someone who has sarpo mira and axona set and was wondering how far on should they be now?

They were set in April with organic potato fertilizer and are I think about 2 feet tall now and are in flower, but from what I read about sarpo I was expecting them to have very strong vigorous stalks.

Other than that they are quite healthy so I was just wondering if this seems normal or would they be stunted?

Also when would you guys think would be okay to start digging test batches before cutting the stalks, I was think maybe mid august but what do you think.

Thanks.
Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both Sarpo Mira and Axona growing. The earliest ones I planted (in March) are over four feet, about a foot taller than the last ones (planted in April). The later ones might catch up, but the earlier ones were much larger seed, so I'm not sure. I've dug some of the Axonas and they were very good - solid, floury and good flavour, but I know from experience they will increase greatly in size over the next two months or more. Why, incidentally are you thinking of cutting the stalks?
gerwil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, the back story to this is the person who set these asked me to get them seed spud so I went and got them the sarpo as I had read a lot of good things about them.
I got them and chitted them and gave them the fertilizer but this person wouldn't be great for taking advice so I'm not sure how well the would have been looked after but I do try to advice them as best I can.

Anyway I'm gone way off topic, but as to why I'd get them to cut the stalks, I read up on the sarpo before getting them and on the (Sárvári research trust) website it says its best to dig a few testers and when happy with the size to cut and dispose of the stalks and leave the spuds for 3 weeks to set their skins.

I might try and get a look a look at them in the next while and see how they're doing, but as I said in my other post I was just wondering if they might be a little stunted but I suppose once they're in flower they should be okay and as they're indeterminate I guess they could grow a good bit yet.

When would you plan on digging the ones you set in April?

Thanks again
Sean Ph'lib

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All being well, I'm not planning to dig mine till October. They're a great-keeping spud, and I'm looking for bulk to see me through the winter; so the bigger they grow, the better I like it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: