Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Help needed for a new plot

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Margo
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Help needed for a new plot Reply with quote

Hi

I have received an e-mail from Gerald in Cork who is retiring later this year Here are his questions:

"hi gerald griffin cork here retiring aged 66 this august got present of half acre or more for as long as i can use it cannot start until Aug 21 what vegetables can i grow in late august September,October and or December would rotavator be ok? very black soft earth covered in lush grass. thanks geraldg"

Any ideas? I would be tempted to put in a green manure in raised beds or start raised beds and cover them to kill off the grass for next year.. I'm not keen on rotovators and would probably just work on a small area to start with. Sometimes too much could put you off.

Cheers

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My better half tried green manure in one raised bed this winter and says he won't use it again....he says it was difficult to dig in and made his first plantings in that bed more of a problem. Just one opinion!
Otherwise my feeling is to start with a small area, and kill off the grass over the winter and start with potatoes in the spring which are reputed to break up new soil nicely.
Garlicbreath
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he gets one raised bed ready by November or thereabouts I'd suggest sowing broad beans and/or garlic. I've had great success with both from Autumn sowings.
inishindie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: cheers Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips...

I always forget about sowing broad beans.. that's a good one.

Spuds keeps the weeds down too. Small area are good for keeping up the interest too. I don't have much luck with rotovtors though, they jjust tend to make more mess and p spread the weeds. Maybe I ought to go to one of out local ploughing competitions to see how it's done....Any more ideas?

cheers

leslie Wylie
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi You must be very lucky but all the best in your new garden

Black polythene will be a big help to you . Dig over a bed approx 6ftx24ft let it overwinter and in the spring cover with the polythene make sure the edges are well buried and plant onion sets 6inches appart in rows using cross slits you should have a great crop and not weeding

But a word of advice keep within you working limits

leslie Wylie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on second thoughts 66 is a bit old for taking on a new veg plot it would be perfect for a person in their 40s
but carry on with small beds
Ordinary Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in a similar situation. I am topsoiling and seeding my gardens these days but I would like to reserve a part of my back garden for a vegetable plot. Should I plant something there now or prepare for planting potatoes in the spring time? I would love to start planting now but what could I plant and when would it be ready for harvesting?
inishindie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: distracted... Reply with quote

Hi ordinary man.....

You could still plant salad stuff and leeks to get you going.....

I'm a bit distracted though from the earlier comment from Leslie....

I think 66 is a perfect time for starting new projects.....any age really.

I have a friend who is in his mid 60's and runs marathons as well as looking after a massive garden (I've put on a link so you can see the muscles.)

My mother in law is 80 and runs 15 yoga classes a week and indulges in bodyboarding in her spare time.....

http://inishindie.blogspot.com/2007/10/stroll-in-garden-donal-doherty.html

cheers

Ian

sunnymount farm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like your attitude inishindie.
Donal looks like real goer alright!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: