Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Unusual find in my potato sack

Most Recent Posts hello everyone
Last post: cravings
For the retired
Last post: Blowin
Horse manure in bags?
Anyone any thoughts on using wind screen protection?

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Cityblowin
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Unusual find in my potato sack Reply with quote

So late last night my wife employing home made pancakes as a bribe asked me to go out and harvest some potatoes for a soup that just had to be made. Fresh spuds in soup crazy I know!!

Out I went with just about enough light to see what I was doing and grabbed a sack. Using the patio light which is very weak I started to remove said potatoes from the sack.

I then heard an intense high pitch squeaking / buzzing noise. The noise then stopped and I continued to grab my bounty, suddenly as I searched for stragglers the noise returned and I saw a large big bubble bee emerging from a clear cocoon like covering. I wished I had my phone/camera in my pocket, just as I was about to go get it the bee emerged from the cocoon and started to fly around quite disorientated. The bee then flew off.

So is this normal bubble bee behaviour sleeping in potato sacks? Anyone else have this experience?
Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is a bubble bee? I've never heard of them; you don't mean "bumble bee"?
sweetpea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i was a kid i used to go Ratting with the farm dogs in the potato shed which is where the tractor had tipped the endless trailors of spuds after the harvest.

As we climbed up on the huge mounds of potatoes which were covered with loose straw...... big bumble bees would come flying out as for some reason they love hiding or living in between the spuds
Cityblowin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry yea bumble bee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: