Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Spring cabbage plants

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Shamrock
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Spring cabbage plants Reply with quote

Are spring cabbage plants available yet and when can you plant them, what other veg can you plant in the coming months
windy
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Spring cabbage plants Reply with quote

Shamrock wrote:
Are spring cabbage plants available yet and when can you plant them, what other veg can you plant in the coming months

Hi shamrock,ive seen winter cabbage plants in garden centres but not spring cabbage,would imagine there around somewhere but i expect there expensive ( the cabbage i saw was 3.99 for10 ) why not try some seed?
take a look at the topic July August planting on the main page
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any spring cabbage plants that are available now will almost certainly bolt next Spring. You are still in time to sow seeds of Spring cabbages Flower of Spring, Ellam's Early and Early Offenham. Always check that the variety is suitable for overwintering.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Shamrock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Windy and Michael, I'm a bit confused, is spring cabbage sown in spring and harvested in summer, winter cabbage sown in late summer and autumn and harvested in spring, and if that is so why don't they name it for time of harvest instead of time of planting, as they do with flowers.
Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's this way: Spring cabbage is sown now, and harvested in Spring. Summer cabbage is sown in early Spring and harvested in Summer. Winter cabbage is sown in early Summer and harvested in Winter. It gets its name from when you harvest it.
Moggi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, sorry for butting in, but can you fill me in on what each looks like. I have planted two sets of cabbage summer cabbage and winter cabbage, but cant remember which is which. Am I right in thinking that the Summer cabbage is the one which grows into a round head and spreads out ? and is Winter cabbage the one which grows taller but does not spread out as much ? I bought both types at my local garden centre and planted them out (from plugs) in late April. I have harvested some of the "round" ones and they were really good - this is my first year growing veg, so have been really proud of myself, so hopefully I am on the right track ? !!!
Sean Ph'lib

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get round-headed summer cabbage (like Primo) and pointed head ones (like Greyhound). If you bought the plants in April, I would imagine they would be all summer cabbages. Now is the time for planting out winter cabbages and sowing the seeds of spring cabbages.
SG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On subject of cabbage, going to plant some winter cabbage in my tunnel or is it to late, should I be looking at spring cabbage. anyone any idea on which type seed to get. There seems to be a lot of different types of cabbage out there. Confused
Sean Ph'lib

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the spring cabbages (seeds) on offer are good: Durham Early, Wheeler's Imperial, Wintergreen are all good; Flower of Spring is an old favourite - especially if you want big cabbages; Durham Elf for small, compact heads; my personal favourite is April.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael brenock wrote:
any spring cabbage plants that are available now will almost certainly bolt next Spring. You are still in time to sow seeds of Spring cabbages Flower of Spring, Ellam's Early and Early Offenham. Always check that the variety is suitable for overwintering.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

I think some of you may be missing Michaels important information here. You really shouldn't be planting cabbages yet, but sowing seed. Trying to get ahead of things will cost you more.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Sean Ph'lib

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Liparis] You really shouldn't be planting cabbages yet, but sowing seed. Trying to get ahead of things will cost you more.
Bill.[/quote]

That is not correct. Now is the time to plant cabbages - provided they are the right variety, i.e. winter cabbages, such as January King.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: